Gen 1 to Gen 2 swap

willett

Cadet
Hi guys,

I have an early gen 1 in my sabrecraft lake boat(1973 if memory serves me correctly) mounted behind a mercruiser 260 HP and something let go in the lower leg. I was able to source a 1999 gen 2 full assembly from a guy down the street for a screaming deal and now I'm in the midst of the swap

While everything is apart I want to switch out any wear parts and I'm trying to compile a list.

So far I'm going to do the gimble bearing and obviously an oil change
Both u joints feel great so I think I'll leave them alone
I also noticed some weepage coming from the input shaft seal so it looks like I will be tackeling that as well.

What else do you guys suggest?

I'm a ticketed HD mechanic but I haven't spent too much time messing around with IO boats so please bear with me 😂

Also I was told that the new leg is set up for an external oil reservour. Am I correct to assume that the nipple below the shift arm is for the oil supply line. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about:

This is the boat in question

Last edited:

Scott06

Vice Admiral
No that's for the speedometer pick up tube. On a gen II it's in the drive vs external for a gen i. Oil supply is in the bellhousing on RH side by attachment studs.

I would cap off the speedometer pick inside the boat so water doesn't come in

Bondo

Staff member
I was able to source a 1999 gen 2 full assembly from a guy down the street for a screaming deal and now I'm in the midst of the swap

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Are you aware ya gotta swap the entire transom assembly, from the motor, aft, as well as the drive, Right,..??

willett

Cadet
No that's for the speedometer pick up tube. On a gen II it's in the drive vs external for a gen i. Oil supply is in the bellhousing on RH side by attachment studs.

I would cap off the speedometer pick inside the boat so water doesn't come in

Good to know thanks !

Am I better to use the one on the leg or stick to my old one that still works on the transom?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Are you aware ya gotta swap the entire transom assembly, from the motor, aft, as well as the drive, Right,..??

Yes I know, I stripped all the old stuff from the transom last weekend

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Do ya have the newer flywheel cover for the motor,..??
The width changed on the rear motor mounts,...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I was able to source a 1999 gen 2 full assembly .
Do you mean everything from the rear flywheel cover and transom assembly and outdrive.?

willett

Cadet
I scored everything except for the flywheel cover. Is my old inner transom plate compatible with the gen 2 gimble?

Bondo

Staff member
Is my old inner transom plate compatible with the gen 2 gimble?

Nope,... It's missin' atleast 2 bolt holes,... probably more differences I don't know about too,....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Yep, I know....

2 holes at the top... Also 2 of the middle holes have moved about an inch down, and the cutout itself is slightly wider in the middle (about 1/2" each side). You're going to need a new style cutout template to make the adjustments.

You're also going to need the new flywheel housing, and probably a new coupler too. Doing the swap you plan without the 'pulley to flywheel housing' engine is fraut with problems. Each one you will need to solve as you reach it....

Good luck.

Chris.........

willett

Cadet
So I'm thoroughly confused.

Here is a photo of the old transfer plate beside the new (to me) plate

Motor mounts widths are identical as are hole spacing of the through transom plates.

Here's the old gimble beside the new one.
Oldest one is closest to the camera.
I was under the impression that it was pre alpha but maybe I'm wrong. The leg has the big eyelet on the top cover

willett

Cadet
Here is what's left of the serial on the old gimble housing

And here is the eye I was talking about on top of the leg

I tried to get the leg identifying PDF in the help section but the website that hosts it is sketchy and I can't figure out how the hell to get the file :|

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Best I can work out is that your old gimbal (can't read the serial number well enough to make it out) and transom plate are not MC-1, but R or MR, and someone in the past has put in an MC-1 bell housing to suit the MC-1 drive.

You have a true 'Franken-Merc' there.... Best of luck.

Chris...........