Mercruiser 140 Trim Linear pneumatic sensor

italianstal27

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all! Have a 140 hp 1976 mercrusier i/o with a new upgraded Trim hydraulic motor.

However, the trim sensor is the old style and appears to have not been used in a long long time.
$_35.JPG

On our engine, the hydraulics on the trim sender have been disconnected for a while, and it appears to be covered in grease / grime.

Is it worth salvaging? Should we spend the $60 to upgrade to a rotary style below?:
mzuVhV9Nkpsrs5LEbjYD_ow.jpg

There's very little information on the web for the linear style above...

Thanks!
Link to our boat rebuild
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...7-76-holiday-i-o-18-fishing-rebuild-pic-heavy

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
One of the most important things to post for the MC techies are the serial numbers for the motor and drive so it can be looked up correctly.

Alumarine

Captain
I don't think there's anyway to mount the rotary style on that year drive.

merc850

Commander
If you have some time take it apart and see if you can fix it, if you connect an Ohmmeter across the wires you should see a change in resistance when you pressurize it. The picture is too small to get a good look at it.

fishrdan

Admiral
Clean it up, install it on the transom shield, plumb it into the hydraulic system and see if it works.

I have an original from 72' and it still works perfectly fine with a new style Oildyne pump. I used another pre-made pump>trim manifold hose to plumb it in, works much better than original nylon hose and compression fittings.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That sensor is hydraulic, not pneumatic...

Anyway, just hose it up as it was with the old trim pump. Then replace your old pump with the new, but remove (plumb around) the reverse lock valve. That's 'built in' to the new pumps.

Can't use the rotary sensors on the old style gimbal ring, can't put a new style gimbal ring in the old housings.

Chris...........
(I have also moved this to the Mercruiser forum)