Alpha 1 Gen 2 Shift Cable

OldRedToyota

Cadet
Hello All!

Got another project boat question for yall. I have 98 4.3L Thunderbolt V 2bbl Carb (Engine Serial 0M635945 Transoms Serial 0L263708), that when the boat was in gear you could turn the prop with a little pressure and hear a clicking sound. After a little google research I came to the conclusion that the cables needed to be adjusted and that changing the lower unit oil wouldn't hurt either. I changed out the impeller and lower unit oil and adjusted the cables per mercruiser specs. Noticed that if the boat was in reverse is "locked" and was good, the same thing happened in forward but I think I could turn it with some force and still notice clicking noise. Well today I got her running (first time in 5 years according to last owner) and when attempting to shift forward I needed to push forward before it would have a sudden "shift" then would go, in reverse it would shift sooner but still heard a noise. My question is, do yall think I need new cables or my lower unit needs some attention. When I fully shift into gear (don't remember which) the "guide" falls out of the tube (see picture for details). Is there a way to test cables, such as taking them off and manually pulling/pushing them to ensure that they are just worn and need replacing versus what I assume is a costly lower unit repair job.

Thanks again everyone

Attachments

• photo259912.JPG
    photo259912.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
That 'guide' is the shift assist. S'posed to have a spring inside.

When shifting a Mercruiser you don't want to ease into gear, you just drop it in and let it lock up.

When in forward gear the propeller should lock if turned counterclockwise and 'click' if turned clockwise.

When in reverse it will lock turned clockwise and 'click' when turned counterclockwise.

Adjust the shift linkages EXACTLY as depicted in this video and that part at least will be good. Going to have to replace the shift assist, looks like.

Rick

OldRedToyota

Cadet
No Title

Thanks for your help Rick. I adjusted the cables again and after a few little tweeks, it appears to lock into both gear where as I don't believe it was fully locking in before. Can't test today as its raining, but hopefully soon. Is it possible that the remote shift cable can stretch? When all adjusted I notice that it appears the remote shift cable, when in reverse, seems to extend really far which is why the assist would fall out. After the adjustments today the shift assist no longer falls but cable still seems to have a little play or "fall" in it.

Attachments

• photo259945.jpg
    photo259945.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo259946.jpg
    photo259946.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0

Rick Stephens

Admiral
What usually happens with lower shift cables is the spring pressure on the cable when coming out of gear wears the sheath allowing the cable to have slop and often making it sticky - which causes the engine to die when shifting. If in doubt, replace the cable and go boating. It is too much work for the $40-$50 cable cost to take it out, and reinstall it as a test. And they need replacing on a fairly regular basis any ways.

OldRedToyota

Cadet
Do both cables need to be replaced or in this case would only the remote shift cable need to be replaced, being that that is the one that appears to have a lot of play in it when the boat is put into reverse. As you can see in my pictures above, that is the cable when the boat is in reserve. You can see that the cable has, what I consider, a lot of play up and down. The cost of the cables aren't the issue with me, its the installing of the new lower unit cable that I worry about. I don't want to have to purchase a special tool, nor do I really want to have to take all that apart unless I need to.

Bondo

Staff member
its the installing of the new lower unit cable that I worry about.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Forward cables last a long, Long time,....
Mine is original, from 1974,...

The Lower shift cable, from the shift switch to the drive, usually last 5 to 8 years,....
Which is also 'bout how long the rubber parts in the transom last,... the bellows,...

OldRedToyota

Cadet
My plan now is to test my adjustments next week. I ordered a new cooler hose as one of them has bad dry rot. If I need to start a new form please let me know, but since its been sitting for so long I'd like to "flush" the system by putting a water hose up back flushing the system to get anything out that may have resulted from it sitting for 5 years. My question is, will flushing water through the cooling lines and push everything down to the lower unit (that I plan to drop and replace impeller) be a good idea or is there another/better way to ensure system isn't clogged.