Restoration of 1985 Chris Craft Scorpoin 230 LTD, MAX HP and TRQ for ALPHA 1

fou

Recruit
I pic it up last summer has a project. the floor need to be redone and engine is shot. It's powered by a Merc 260HP, ALPHA one, GEN one.
I'm getting a shop, to build me an engine and you like to run to max that it can handle and I know it all about the TRQ.
The shop can build me a 350 rated with 340HP and 400TRQ, it has performance pistons, hot cam, vortex heads and TRQ intake. on regular gas!

if it is too much TQR for the ALPHA, I'll get the engine with less TRQ.

Thanks for you help

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
I will throw this out. A Alpha is rated to handle 300 hp. But as long as the drive is healthy and your easy on the throttle in that size boat you should be fine. Many a Captins run 383 in front of there Alpha.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
be careful of a "hot cam" with standard wet exhaust, there is a limit to the amount of cam you can run without reversion.

as for an Alpha. if you build a custom Alpha, you can put over 600hp in front of it at over 7500RPM. however your talking custom parts. a stock alpha is rated to 300hp with an input limit of about 5500RPM. SeaRay put 330hp big blocks in front of them and they blew up. however as flipbro pointed out, if your easy on the throttle and have a rev-limiter for when you exit the water due to a wave you can run a healthy 383 in front of them

also, i am guessing you meant vortec heads.

if your planning a big power motor, plan on a bravo drive

fou

Recruit
Thanks guy. I'm on a budget and don't need crazy power. Just want to squeeze has much has I can out of it.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Thanks guy. I'm on a budget and don't need crazy power. Just want to squeeze has much has I can out of it.

Usually saying 'budget' is not appropriate when you combine 'custom built engine', 'restoration' and 'BOAT'.

LOL, good luck with that. Post pictures, sounds like fun.

Rick

fou

Recruit
Hey Rick, aren't we all on a budget! Other wise I would buy new or get it done buy a shop! LOL I get the pictures stared

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Hey Rick, aren't we all on a budget! Other wise I would buy new or get it done buy a shop! LOL I get the pictures stared

Well, you are going to find you probably blow right through a budget. It is always amazing what it costs. And frankly, you could buy a 20 year newer boat, that is ready to float, cheaper than restoring an '85 that needs floor, probably stringers, most probably transom, and an engine, plus whatever....

Not to disparage the project, not at all! But that scale of project SHOULD get a budget written after a full evaluation of the scope and before a dollar is spent on it. It is very unlikely that you can do the job at anywhere near the price you could buy one already done and ready to use. And worst part is, the end result isn't worth enough to pay for actual costs. As far as market is concerned, you still have an '85 Chriscraft and while it will get good dollar compared to others of the same age, don't count on it financially coming anywhere close to breaking even.

As everyone says around here: B.O.A.T. means Break Out Another Thou.

fou

Recruit
I fully agree with you. This boat has 400 hrs and for a 230 scorpion in good shape I was look at $10k to $12k so far I'm in for less then $2k and that is counting new wheel bearing/ tires and light on trailer and getting the boat home. So with and other $6 to $8k. I should have the boat in the water with a new floor and new engine.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
That what I did. Buy a rotten boat and build it they way I wanted. No suprises and I know what I have. So many people spend thousands on rotten boats not knowing.

Bondo

Staff member
That what I did. Buy a rotten boat and build it they way I wanted. No suprises and I know what I have. So many people spend thousands on rotten boats not knowing.

Ayuh,.... Ditto,.... I bought a $3500. '74 Starcraft 221 Islander that I pizzed $10,000. into, that's maybe still worth the original $3500. at best,....
But,....
I've been runnin' it for 'bout 20 years, without any driveline problem,.... ;)