milky water - what to check? 76 351w

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all - so since running our "new" baot a few heat cycles the past 3 weeks.. noticed today oil is a bit milky.. not completely peanut butter but like its half way there..

Did a comp test today:

1=145
2=143
3=145
4=139

5=150
6=134
7=155
8=148

Ill try pressure test the risers and manifolds 2moro.. should the block be filled with water for the test, and will a drop definitely indicate a crack, or could it just be a leak - intake perhaps?

Motor starts / idles super easy and all plugs look the same.. not one is clean from water - so i guess a blown head gasket will be ruled out for now.. Riser gaskets all look pretty good, perhaps 3 yrs old - nothing is majorly rusted / corroded - all bolts are stainless and came out perfectly.. no rusty water marks near gaskets either..

Im gonna run some used oil 2moro maybe and see what happens after shes hit running temps..

Bondo

Staff member
should the block be filled with water for the test, and will a drop definitely indicate a crack,

Nope,... Block should be drained, so you can hear the leak,....

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Remove the exhaust manifolds first and cheak them. If the are OK then pressure test the block. If the pressure test on the block shows a leak you find were it's leaking from. Don't just assume it's cracked. .

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
How do i check exhaust manifolds, u mean visually? shouldnt they be assembled for a pressure test? I think u block of the water pipes on the risers and pressurize the block thru one of the hoses?

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Take the manifolds off and do an acetone cheak. Do a search. There's many discussion on how to do it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You can have a blown HG and still have normal comp test readings and plugs that are not steam cleaned. You might try removing all the plugs and grounding the ignition. Then crank over the engine and check the cyls for water. When a HG just starts to blow you can have a small amount of water that does not shoot out of the plug hole but when you take the head off you will see rust in the combustion chamber.
If you take the manifolds off look in the exhsust ports of the cyl head for rust. You can (carefully) check the manis for rust by propping them up level and filling them with acetone. Let em sit then look for wetness in the exhaust ports.

Until you figure this out at the end of your tests remove the plugs and fog it. I did this with my engine after I had salt water in a cyl and it saved the engine. While there was rust on the combustion chamber there was no rust in the cyls. Just pulled it apart last week. Took the heads to a speed shop to have them checked.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi - replaced intake gasket, there was a bad seal on 3 corners, had her out twice and so far good - thanks tho! very relieved. They didnt use enough sealant in the notorious v8 intake corners imo -