470 issues

2fishy4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, this is the last season for this boat. So I would like to get it sellable. Twin mercruiser 3.7LX 470 engines. Both replaced with remans in the last year and half. The newest of issues, is driving me nuts and cost me over 1.5k in mechanics thinking they fix it and never do. Here is what is going on, starboard has no issues at all. But, port will run perfect for a few hours then out of nowhere it starts acting up. The Rpms jump up and down by 2-300 RPMS. like its either loosing spark or starving for fuel. it will run smooth for a couple seconds then drop in rpm for a second then run good for a couple secs. and It will stall out at idle. And if you try to gas it past 2500rpms it just bogs out. This has happened every weekend for the last 4 weekends. And I have a mechanic look at it each time and say they fixed it with either a timing change or a cutout switch adjustment. Or some other thing that didn't need fixing. But the issue keeps coming back. The fuel pump is new, the carb was rebuilt 6 months ago. Anyone got somewhere to look next time its doing it. As it works fine when the mechanics go out there. And I am sick of throwing money away on guesses. Intermittent problems are going to make me go insain. Its beyond belief how many things have gone wrong with these 2 engines and the 2 that they replaced..........I can say I easily spent 30k over the last 2 years keeping this thing running. And that don't include any cosmetic stuff I did, that's just on the engines and components. So far I have swapped the pertronics, replaced the rotor and cap, checked all grounds and positive wiring, replaced plugs and wires, swapped carbs, and the issue keeps coming back. each trip was different, first time it ran for 5 hours without issue until it dropped to idle then it started doing its thing. The other times vary from 30 minutes to 3 hours before the issue starts up.

2fishy4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Bt Doctur, I replaced the coil but have not checked the anti-syphon valve. I will check that when I get back out there Friday. Fishing season opens this weekend so hopefully we get this sorted before we go out. We usually go at least 20 miles offshore.

Rinker captiva 206

Seaman Apprentice
Check to make sure you are not experiencing a minor vapor lock. And if it is the reverse kill, you can unhook the wire from the coil to test that theory. Because the switch is normally open. But if you can access the motors whIle running, take a towel and get soaked with cold water, then ring out over fuel pump. If it is a vapor lock issue the cold water will cool the fuel down enough.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
Check to see if the fuel pump mounting bolts are secure.

My starboard 470 had an issue like that.

Turned out to be the threads on one of the bolts were partially wiped out by the last idiot who owned the boat who decided to thread a 5/16 24 threaded screw into a 5/16 18 pitch hole when he changed it last. It vibrated loose and stopped the pump from pumping unless you were revving the s**t out of the motor.

I still need to put a helecoil into that raped hole. I just tightened the other nut down to bring it home and winterize it.

It ran fine once one of the screws got socked down.

salty3rd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know you said you have put a new coil in but I have had bad luck with new coils in the past, I would swap coils with the other engine to eliminate it as a possibility. Another thing I would make sure is that your fuel lines and fuel filter are tight and there is no chance the fuel pump is sucking a little air

2fishy4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks everyone, looks like from the responses that its leaning toward a fuel issue. Since both the mechanics that have been out there kept looking for an electrical issue. I will look for a fuel issue. Starting with replacing the anti syphon valve and work my way forward.

2fishy4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So, its not the coil, carb, cables, fuel lines, anti syphon valve, cut off switch, or vapor lock. And it keeps doing it every trip out. Over the last 3 weekends it has done it at random times, and by the time I get back to dock it runs just fine. Starting to drive me mad lol. Yesterday, it happened a couple times but would start working fine after a few minutes. I suppose the only thing I got left in the fuel system would be the fuel pump. Any other ideas what to look for if its not the pump? It really seams to me like its a fuel issue.......

salty3rd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you swap parts with the other engine as mentioned above? Another thing to try, when it won't start run jumpers from the battery directly to the coil + & - and see if it runs, you may have a bad connection somewhere.

2fishy4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah I swapped pertronics, cables, cap, rotor, carburetor, cut-off switch, fuel lines. Replaced filters. This last weekend, after I got back to the slip. I tried to start it, and it would fire up immediately. But then turn right back off like what it would do if you just sprayed fuel in the carb without a fuel line attached. And after another 30 minutes it ran fine again. The whole start right away thing is what is making think it is fuel issue now.

2fishy4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, changed the fuel pump, it ran great most the time. But I noticed a very slight muffled misfire once every 20 minutes or so and my RPMS would drop from 3600 to 3200 and drop out of plain. Then it would go back to running normal. I drop the throttle and it seams to run fine so I throttle back up and its fine. It did this 4 times during the day. Then 30 seconds away from the slip it starts doing the same thing that its been doing every time and shuts off. If I tried to restart, it would fire up immediately and shut off. It will fire every time like its just burning the fuel in the carb. But I have now replaced everything on the fuel side, I even tried swapping fuel lines between engines. I would have to give a lot of gas to keep it running and it will missfire a lot. And at idle it just shuts off. And 20 minutes later it starts up and runs just fine.
The last mechanic was electrical, he went through and cleaned all connections, replaced a few grounds and said the electrical wiring is good.
Any clues guys? I really do hate my 470s. Wish I had bondos lol