Exhaust bellow!

Kng15012

Seaman
I'm currently doin some winter tlc to a 1991 celebrity 180 cox
The boat is powered by a 4.3l v6. Merc. My exhaust bellow has a tear in in. The other two bellows appear to be in great shape! I've have a Volvo before that just had half bellow?
My question is should I change it? Put a half bellow on? And can I do that without removing the drive?

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
And can I do that without removing the drive?

Ayuh,.... Nope,....

If 1 bellows is ripped, the rest are very close behind,...
Now, would be the perfect time to replace All the bellows,...

Kng15012

Seaman
I was thinking the same. It almost looks like the hole was purposely put there though. Did merc ever do a hole? It's on the bottom side. I just picked the boat up at the very end of seasons

Baylinerchuck

Commander
That's a good question, one would think there should be a drain hole or holes on the exhaust bellow. My 4.3 LX has the exhaust tube, (78458A1) installed by the PO, not the bellows. So you might say my exhaust has a huge hole. Service manual does not mention anything about drain hole orientation, so doubtful there should be one. I'm interested to know for sure though. Tagging along to find out.

Maclin

Admiral
If talking about the exhaust bellows out on the drive, an OEM Volvo has several pin holes for draining on each of the peaks in the middle on bottom. Not sure about Mercruiser. Some use an exhaust tube in place of bellows there.

Kng15012

Seaman
I'm just not sure I understand how they hole can hurt anything when the drive is down. Being i can go with a tube setup. I agree if the other 2 bellows are bad then replace all. But is it really a worry jusybtye exhuast? Also does anyone know the alpha one part number for the tube?

Maclin

Admiral
Leaking Shifter cable bellows and Drive shaft bellows can sink a boat. The exhaust bellows is much less critical. Maybe you can show how bad it really is with a pic?

Kng15012

Seaman
I can post a few later, it's basically I small tear in bottom middle. About and inch or so long.

Maclin

Admiral
That might be OEM :) Or not. But in my book I would not replace it just for that. The one my boat is original from 1991.

Kng15012

Seaman
That's what I'm leaning towards. Visually the other two look great. And are much softer also.