Gimbal housing to transom

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I'm buying a new seal, and anode bolt kit, to mount my gimbal housing to my transom. Just curious if it's necessary or recommended to add sealant to the seal. It doesn't appear as though the gimbal housing had sealant on it when I pulled it off. I was looking for opinions or best practices. Alpha I Gen I.

Thanks much.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
When I have to remove and replace them I use 3M Weatherstrip adhesive to glue the gasket to the housing and use packing tape to hold the rubber gasket in place untill the glue dries.
Then take a razor blade and make sure the transom surface is clean and then clean with alcohol or acetone
Apply a THIN BEAD between the edge of the rubber gasket and the edge of the housing NOT ON THE RUBBER GASKET
Install and tighten correctly

Baylinerchuck

Commander
When I have to remove and replace them I use 3M Weatherstrip adhesive to glue the gasket to the housing and use packing tape to hold the rubber gasket in place untill the glue dries.
Then take a razor blade and make sure the transom surface is clean and then clean with alcohol or acetone
Apply a THIN BEAD between the edge of the rubber gasket and the edge of the housing NOT ON THE RUBBER GASKET
Install and tighten correctly

Is 5200 ok to use in this manner or should I only "stick" with the weather strip adhesive. Sorry for the pun.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you only want an adhesive not a sealant, re-reading my post I left out using Black RTV sealant not weatherstrip adhesive between the rubber gasket and the edge of the housing. 3m weatherstrip to glue the rubber ring to the transom housing

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I put mine in dry this last year, only using weatherstrip adhesive to attach to the gimbal housing, and I have a small leak. I'll probably pull it all again and use a teensy layer of RTV on the gasket between it and hull.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Take your time and dont rush it or it will leak.Preparation is the key

I have to level out the outside of my transom. If I run a straight edge from top to bottom where the gimbal housing mounts my middle hole is 1/8" low. Mercruiser manual states 1/16" max. Or I could RTV the **** out of it and hope for the best........I'm just kidding!!