Problem installing outdrive

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I placed the throttle in the forward position. I lined up the shifter cable. I went to slide on the outer unit and I needed to turn the spline. I went to grab the propeller to spin, but nothing. So I reached in and put the male end of the shift thing to the left right above the propeller, and then spinning the prop moved the drive shaft. That piece needs to be facing forward to line up with the bell housing right? If that end is facing forward then spinning the propeller doesn't move the ujoint

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Basically with the shifter in forward, the propeller still spins freely in all directions

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Sometimes it takes a little wiggling to get the splines to line up perfectly. Once they do, it'll slip right on up until about the last inch or so. That's where the "Mer-Kick" procedure comes into play.

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is where it stops. I have tried everything. I have rotated the shaft several times. I have also turned the steering wheel in different directions as well as moving the boat up and down for an angle. This is my first boat and it is nothing but problem after problem. I got the boat for $4000 and have spent well over $2000 trying to get it running right
16996163_1389408294443622_3595665217700408806_n.jpg

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The alignment tool slides in but not easy and i have to hit with a hammer to remove. I inserted but did not see any spline marks, but old grease instead, anmd it was only on the top of the rod

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
You need to get the alignment to were it slides in and out nice and easy. No hammers required.

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Yep...if it's only getting to that point then there is a basic alignment issue. You've reached the point to where the splines are just reaching the coupler and won't go. Pull the whole thing out and check the alignment. If it's too far off, and you have good eyes...you can look dead on into the bore and see which way it needs to be adjusted just to get the drive to go in. They'll come out if mis aligned like that but won't go back in without a fight...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
How difficult was it to remove the drive. This is a indicator of engine alignment. The alignment tool slides in and out easily with greased fingers on the tool
With the control box in fwd, and the arm in a srtaight line and the alignment correct the drive slides on to within a 1/8 inch by hand., No kicking/hammering required.
When installing a drive you have it if fwd gear, prop locks CCW . Insert shaft into gimbal bearing and turn prop CCW about an inch or so to line up the splines while pushing in on the drive.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You need to get the alignment perfect first. Don't bother putting the drive on until you do.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
There are You tube vids that show you how to do this. If its way out take a good look at your engine mount stringers. Any cracks in the 'glass on the top of them? If so you may have rot in the mounts that is causing the front of the engine to sag down and throws off the alignment. When its right the drive will slide on within 1/4-1/18th".
Even when you have the alignment right, it can be a bit of a struggle because it is difficult to keep the ujoints and driveshaft straight when you feed them through the bellows. When I do mine I start with the gimble housing square to the ground, try to get the drive at the exact same height as the top of the gimble housing. Then I use a long thin screwdriver through the ujoints (Cobras are installed in neutral) to slightly turn the driveshaft to line up the splines. When it aligns you can feel it.

thumpar

Admiral
2 fingers to insert and take out the alignment tool is all it should take. There is no point in trying to put the drive on with bad alignment. You will end up with a bad coupler and having to pull the motor to fix it.