Hardin bravoitis kit install

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well guys I was finally able to tackle the bravoitis kit install. I can tell you one thing.. it was a PAIN in my butt getting to the bolts that hold the fitting to the transom... esp the lower bolt. I was lucky that I didn't have to remove the entire steering assembly..but I did remove the cotter pin and that gave me enough room to work. Cutting the old hose out was a breeze. I did have to remove the bellow ring from the ujoints.. I just ordered a new ring ..no biggie. The biggest issue I had was removing all the oxidation from the hole through the transom. It was pretty caked up. I ended up using a metal wood working tool that was rounded one one side ..it's worked Great .. cleaned up the hole good enough that the hose slid right in. I had to install the hose from the motor side... not a big deal at all ..I just bent the hose while I fed it through. I did spray know some wd40 to help it slide. One the hose was fed through it was a matter of cussing... drinking a beer... more cussing and BAM.. bolts tightened. My arms are a bit tore up but well worth it considering I saved money and learned something new. Once the fitting was done I jumped out the boat and started the process of connecting the hose to the outdrive. The directions stated the hose might be a little to small... if so you just use the supplied silicone.. which wasn't in the package .. I screwed the fitting in the hose.. applied some sealant and pressed it in. I'm now in the process of waiting for the sealant to cure. . Over all... I give this a 6 in difficulty. Btw.. there was 2 bolts and studs that came with the kit.. I have no idea what they are for. I even emailed hardin asking for clarification.. they responded with a link to the directions.. which I already had. I had originally thought that they were to replace the bolts that hold the fitting on the transom..but that was a no go... they were to long.

Attachments

• photo259151.jpg
    photo259151.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 6
  • photo259401.jpg
    photo259401.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 5
  • photo259402.png
    photo259402.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • photo259403.png
    photo259403.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • photo259404.png
    photo259404.png
    985.1 KB · Views: 8
  • photo259406.png
    photo259406.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • photo259409.jpg
    photo259409.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 8

Bondo

Staff member
I did spray know some wd40 to help it slide.

Ayuh,.... Obviously alittle late to yer party, but for future reference,...

That would be the Perfect situation to use Power Tune, from Quicksilver, aka: Mercury,...
It's a spray sorta like sea-foam, only different,...

Anywhere ya gotta move Rubber through something, ya spray it on, 'n the rubber turns super duper Slippery,....
Bellows lock rings,... spray, 'n use yer fingers to seat it,...
Motor mounts push in with ease,... etc...

The key to it's success is, it dissipates so quickly,...

alldodge

Staff member
I would assume the brass brush would be used to clean the hole out, using a drill.

Once the fitting was done I jumped out the boat and started the process of connecting the hose to the outdrive. The directions stated the hose might be a little to small... if so you just use the supplied silicone.. which wasn't in the package .. I screwed the fitting in the hose.. applied some sealant and pressed it in.

The hose is inserted into the bell housing, then the plastic piece is inserted using the tool with a 3/8 extension. I have never used silicone on these parts. silicone will cause them to slide even when dry.

B its.jpg

Please clarify, what was silicone used on?

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Silicon was used on the outside of the rubber hose after the plastic piece was inserted into the hose.

Attachments

• photo259406.png
    photo259406.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Not saying it won't last but I'm concerned, and this is just my opinion

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well apparently I didn't understand the directions like i should have. It said if the hose doesn't fit snug to use the silicone tube .. I thought it said just use silicone.. my screw up. The thing is the package didn't come with a tube sleeve. Guess I need to work on my reading skills. I ran to lowes... found a rubber hose i could use as a sleeve... Looks like I'll be pulling the outdrive tomorrow and fixing my mistake.

alldodge

Staff member
Better now then running around on the boat and having it come loose. I've done a ton of mis-steps, go thing I lived thru them :facepalm:

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Wanted to give a update. I recieved the correct sleeve from hardin and the install went smoothly.

Attachments

• photo260526.jpg
    photo260526.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 5
  • photo260527.jpg
    photo260527.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 5