Mercruiser 4.3L 4bbl Weber Carb Questions

Spiderhole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good afternoon, I hope you are all well. I have been slowly getting my Welcraft together over this winter after it had been sitting for a few years from the previous owner. I've straightened several things out to hopefully get it to the point where its reliable, all of which was from the support of everyone on this board - thank you. I am at what I believe will be my final step to get it on the water.

After I finished doing the upper drive seals and getting everything to the point that it would run - I fired the motor up. It was hard to start, but it did finally run, but it was idling very high, like the choke wasn't releasing correctly. Once it was warm, I did manually move the choke and it dropped to idle for a few seconds, but then cut off, and wouldn't restart. It also appeared to be flooding badly... so badly, that the cylinders filled with fuel and it wouldn't start at all once it cooled down. I pulled the plugs, disconnected the fuel pump, and turned it over to get all the fuel out of the cylinders. It also seemed that a lot of gas got into the oil (have to change the oil) after it sat for a while cooling down.

I suspected that the floats were either not adjusted properly, or the fuel pump was the problem. I pulled the top half of the carb off, and low and behold, the needle on the choke side was completely stuck half way up, so it was open all the time (probably from sitting for so long), which was not allowing it to close or the floats to do their thing unimpeded. I also broke the gasket on carb when I took it apart, which sucks, but I guess that's probably not a big deal since I'll obviously need to do a kit on it at this point anyway.

Here is where I could use some help. I suspect that the tab where the choke connects to the carb is not on correct - it makes no sense to me how it would work properly. Attached are some pictures of how it is currently installed and sitting at rest. Also, I need to know which carb kit I need to get? It appears in some of the kits that there are four needles; are there actually four needles in my carb beyond these two that I can see? Is there anything else that I should think about?

Attachments

• photo255697.jpg
    photo255697.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 4
  • photo259307.jpg
    photo259307.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo259308.jpg
    photo259308.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 4

Bondo

Staff member
I also broke the gasket on carb when I took it apart, which sucks, but I guess that's probably not a big deal since I'll obviously need to do a kit on it at this point anyway.

Ayuh,...... Yer carb, is Exactly the same as the Edelbrock Performer 1409,....

Buyin' parts for the Edelbrock is easier, 'n cheaper than dealin' with Merc,...
And,...
In the Edelbrock Tech section, you'll find the Bible for the Carter AFB carb,...
It appears ya got the choke stove choke, rather than electric,...
Both are in the Bible,...

Spiderhole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ayuh,...... Yer carb, is Exactly the same as the Edelbrock Performer 1409,....

Buyin' parts for the Edelbrock is easier, 'n cheaper than dealin' with Merc,...
And,...
In the Edelbrock Tech section, you'll find the Bible for the Carter AFB carb,...
It appears ya got the choke stove choke, rather than electric,...
Both are in the Bible,...

Thank you, that's definitely some good info. Only thing is, and I'm probably just not seeing it, but I don't see a diagram of my choke? It looks like they are showing an electric choke. I am not familiar with these carbs.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
... It looks like they are showing an electric choke. ....

Nope, you have a 'heat stove' choke (Weber 9600). There is no electric choke bi-metal element in any of your photos.... The ones with electric choke were the 9666

Chris..........

Spiderhole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey, just wanted to thank everyone on this thread (and some of other threads I've posted) who gave me all the info needed to get my 4.3L Mercruiser powered Wellcraft back on the water. The previous owner treated this thing like a rented donkey, but you guys on this forum gave me all the info over the winter to straighten it out. All my friends are jealous, and we're having a blast with it. I'm about $200 into the boat... including the boat!! Now I just need to do some wet sanding and interior work to make this thing real pretty. This boat really moves!

2017-03-25 15.38.07-1.jpg 2017-03-31 17.00.29.jpg 2017-03-31 16.58.54.jpg 2017-03-25 17.46.43.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-03-25 15.38.07-1.jpg
    2017-03-25 15.38.07-1.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 2