"Stuff" oozing out of MerCruiser MAG 350 MPI manifold joints

Camuyano

Recruit
Hello,

I have a 2005 Sea Ray Sundancer 260 with a MerCruiser MCM MX 6.2 MPI (Serial #OW069447) and Bravo III outdrive that I've owned for only one season. Last fall I noticed some beige substance apparently oozing out of the joints of the port riser. (See pictures in attached link.) According to the pre-purchase inspection report this manifold was replaced but it was at either buyers or dealer expense and I have not been able to get any more info. I don't remember seeing the engine run hot or getting any alarms. (Other than a bad IAC valve, which we replaced.)

Can anyone tell me what this stuff is? Is it a concern even if the engine temperature and water flow look normal? Can I run any tests to make sure this is not going to cause any major issues? (I purchased a scan tool last season to debug the IAC issue.) Any info will be appreciated. It is not easy to get it looked in the upper Potomac where it is stored right now. I am moving it to the Chesapeake Bay this spring but don't want to break anything major or get stranded along the way.

Thanks,
Camuyano

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... My 1st Guess is,...
Whoever did the manifold riser swap used some sorta sealant, rather sloppily, where it isn't needed,....
Those are gasketed joints, that shouldn't have anything but the dry gaskets on clean surfaces,...

What does the stuff Feel like,..??

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Looks like whoever replaced the manifold used some kind of sealant on the joint/gaskets. And too much of the stuff whatever it is

Camuyano

Recruit
All,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Bondo,

The stuff feels "rubbery" kinda of like silicone when it dries but a bit harder.

I assume if it's excess sealant, it should be okay as long as there's not sign of leakage. Correct?

Thanks again for the help and warm welcome!

-Camuyano

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My guess the dealer used a sealant vs new gaskets to save cost.

I would pull apart and inspect

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It looks like cured 3M 4200 or 5200. A rubbery feel kind of cements that thought.