Alpha 1 Gen 2 ate part of top cap oring what to do?

tfmech

Seaman
So I just picked up a baja with a 2005 5.7 and Alpha 1 Gen 2 out drive in it. When I went to check it out I went trough everthing checking it out including taking the top cap off drive and draining and inspecting the drive gear set. Everything looked great. Well when to he put the drive cap back on he caught the o ring in it and pinched it and toped it back off with oil. Not knowing that that the oring was pinched as it was not leaking yet as it was only 55 or so outside. We fired it up and made sure the motor ran and outdrive sounded good went in and out of gear. Well I made it home it sat for a day and I noticed it was leaking gear oil from the top cap. Took the top cap off and sure enough it had ate about a third of the oring as it ran for about 10 min total.

​So I took drained the oil completely hosed the the thing out from the top with brake clean blew all the chunks of oring out with air and trying to catch as my as I could with to match them up but there were a bunch of pretty small pieces. So I dumped a little bit of oil on the gears and bearings from the top so they were not sitting dry and installed the new oring and put the top cap back on. I haven't filled it back up yet.

​So here is the question do you guys think I need to take the lower off and take the drive off and do a more though job of cleaning or diasemble it and clean it? Do a couple oil flushes maybe fill it up fire it up and let it run in gear for a bit and drain and fill it up again or maybe a couple of times? What would you guys suggest?

alldodge

Staff member
Don't see pieces of the O-ring causing any issues. There are rubber and should not cause issues which may have problems later. That said, this is so long as your sure you have 99% of the oil ring back out.

Only item which makes me concerned is the
brake clean
While the stuff is great for cleaning brakes, it is not good when used to clean needle bearings. If enough of the stuff was used to wash out all the lube, the bearings could stop rotating for a short time. If they do not rotate for even a short time, they can create a flat spot. This is why when a drive is rebuilt needle bearing lube is used and not gear lube.

Not saying this will happen, just reading what was posted

tfmech

Seaman
Well just used enough brake clean to clean oil off the upper gears so I could get most the pieces out. It will sit for a month or so with lube in it before hitting the lake should should be back in them by then I figure

tfmech

Seaman
I'm sure fare worse has been done to a alpha drive that is still running just wanted to check with you guys see if you have ran into this

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Had a customer who had his friend help put the boat in the water by removing the safety chain and the went out and used it like this for most of the day.
Then once loaded on the trailer asks me can I fix it.
DSCN3733_zpstaa4cdha.jpg