impeller shaft rubber piece proper installation

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok found this here on iboats Lower drive shaft/Water pump base seals. Two seals ‘back-to-back’. If these leak the most likely place you see the oil is from the water input holes in the gear housing. To replace these seals just split the drive and remove the water pump assembly and its base. The seals are contained in the base, as is the ‘O’ ring around it. Again, replacement of the entire base is preferred. MC-1 and R drive use the same base, and it is a different base to the MR/Alpha One drives. my question now is, are both of the seals supposed to be pressed into the carrier or one in and one out? When i pulled the carrier, one of the seals wasnt pressed into the carrier, is this correct? ..........EDIT:Never mind i just read its better to replace the whole carrier so there it is.

Last edited:

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i do want to ask so when i pulled the carrier one of the seals was not in the carrier and the other one was flush with the end of the carrier so im pretty sure the second seal was not ever pressed in the carrier. is this how its supposed to be . One seal in the carrier and one out just below the carrier? Iknow the above post says ther in the carrier but it also says ther different for the alpha one

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Both seals go into the carrier. There are always two seals when there is water on one side and oil on the other, such as in the input shaft for the lower case. The lips and springs face outwards - up for the top one and down for the bottom one. Bottom seal keeps oil in and top seal keeps water out.

You can see the opposed seals parts #19 and #20 in the diagram below. Both belong in the carrier #18.

Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 12.27.58 PM.png

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Both seals go into the carrier. There are always two seals when there is water on one side and oil on the other, such as in the input shaft for the lower case. The lips and springs face outwards - up for the top one and down for the bottom one. Bottom seal keeps oil in and top seal keeps water out.

You can see the opposed seals parts #19 and #20 in the diagram below. Both belong in the carrier #18.

appreciate that. Im not thick . I want to be exactly sure. lolo

Rick Stephens

Admiral
appreciate that. Im not thick . I want to be exactly sure. lolo

Always good to ask. No bad question except the one didn't get asked but that shoulda been asked.

I have never installed those seals in the carrier. I always bought the complete unit and installed it.

Rick

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Always good to ask. No bad question except the one didn't get asked but that shoulda been asked.

I have never installed those seals in the carrier. I always bought the complete unit and installed it.

Rick
Thanks Rick.