impeller shaft rubber piece proper installation

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Installing new impeller kit and its not clear which way the rubber seal goes on. it flanges out on one side( not like the original). Does the flanged end go in toward cover or out.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
blando

Whatcha' working on?
Alpha one Gen 2 drive unit, water pump impeller. got it all installed and oil in it came out in am to see it bleeding from the gills on the side(louvers on drive unit where water enters. Do i Have a leak or did i over fill. Im gonna pressure test now but any help would be appreciated

southkogs

Staff member
Let's move ya' to the Mercruiser side and see if we can get any help for ya'.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Sounds like you disturbed the drive shaft seal carrier. You need to pull the water pump off and replace the seal and carrier as a unit. They are cheap. Part Number -807929A1 includes the seals and 'o' ring. About $30.

Chris......

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like you disturbed the drive shaft seal carrier. You need to pull the water pump off and replace the seal and carrier as a unit. They are cheap. Part Number -807929A1 includes the seals and 'o' ring. About $30.

Chris......
how does this happen. i dont believe i did anything to disturb it.

achris

Removing the water pump housing is enough to disturb the carrier. It's held in place by the pressure of the pump base plate. However, if it holds pressure, you don't have a drive leak, you may be seeing just residual spilt oil dripping down.... Is the drive oil reservoir level also dropping?

Chris...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Could be bad seals in the upper where the lower driveshaft enters

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok it holds pressure. so now what?
correction: does not hold pressure. using a compression tester gauge for the test doesnt work. lol Im an idiot. Any way, took lower unit off and when i pressurize it, it does leak around shaft if i move the shaft at all. So im assuming i have bad seals like you said. how do you remove the drive shaft seal carrier, looks like with some sort of modified gear puller is needed?

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok so there IS a leak when pressurized to 13 psi, around the drive shaft seal carrier when i move the shaft. Is this normal or indicate that the seals are compromised? edit; to be more specific the leak is inside the carier where the shaft is. ***Unit is, 1995 Mercruiser, alpha one, gen 2, with 4.3 V6 and 19 ft Maxum attached.

Last edited:

achris

Seals are compromised... There should be no leak from there.

blando

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

anyone now the part number for this oil seal, it sits below the carrier in the shaft,THE ONE ON THE LEFT in the pic, next to the carrier. its for: Mercruiser, outdrive lower unit, off a 4.3 Mercruiser motor with Mercruiser Alpha one Gen 2 stern drive serial number, OF568922. edit: ok theres actually 2 and ive found them but the question is , IS THERE SUPPOSED TO BE 2 OF THEM?

Attachments

• photo258989.jpg
    photo258989.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: