Mercruiser 4.3 MPI Vortec No Oil Pressure 2007

shanz_2008

Seaman
Hi I need some feedback regard the mercruiser 4.3 MPI Vortec.
I Took both engines out because there was an oil leak that was coming from the timing chain cover and change the cover and oil pan gasket since the engines were out Ii painted them and oviuslty I took out the oil filter and left the engine for about 2 days without it.

Put them back into the boat and last Saturday I started one of the engine and as soon as I started the alarm went on and fault pops up SYS Fault Limit Engine Power.

Checked call connections and all were good. Started the engine for 3 times and last time that I start the engine I noticed that there was no oil pressure and switched off immediately so I connected an oil pressure gauge and again no pressure, took out the oil filer and it was empty.

Then I filled the pipe of the filter with oil put back the filter and start then the oil pressure went up to normal imminently and left the engine running for about 15 min.

Started the engine several times and pressure was Ok.

What I need to know is if it is normal that on these engines after you take out the oil filter the oil pump will drain down all the oil and then will not pick up oil again unless you will fill it again.

Thanks and Regards
Clive

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you leave it sit for 2 days it will. you basically need to reprime the pump at that point

hope your simple gasket change fixes the dreaded 4.3 front timing cover leak. most of the time its a new cover

Fun Times

Staff member
Since you did both engines the same, Have you ran the other engine yet to compare oil psi notes?

What brand is the oil filter?

shanz_2008

Seaman
I didn't started the other engine yet.
The oil filters are Quicksilver. Do you think the oil filter can effect the oil pressure?

Fun Times

Staff member
I didn't started the other engine yet.
The oil filters are Quicksilver. Do you think the oil filter can effect the oil pressure?
Yes I've personally seen it once plus over the years of reading these boating forums... Every time I've read a I've just changed my engine oil and filter and now I don't have any oil pressure topic, it's always been a bad/failed oil filter. Once they've reinstalled a new non prefilled oil filter all was good to go immediately.
Sadly I hate to say this but they've pretty much have all been Merc OEM filters that have given this rare issue but in the interim it's still rare that the OEM filters fail due to the thousands + of them that get installed yearly. Maybe it's time to buy a lotto ticket?:becky::yo:

Is this a remote oil filter system? or standard filter directly to the engine block?
Even though you've prefilled the oil filter itself? or the oil line heading down to where the oil psi sensor is located and now you see oil pressure, personally I'd have a very difficult time trusting that particular filter's internal workings even if it seems like it's working now mainly because of the rare back history they possess.

Just realized we're in the wrong sub-forum. We're in the Mercury & Mariner Outboards right now but I'll move your topic down to the Mercury MerCruiser Sterndrives & Engines sub-forum.

Last edited:

shanz_2008

Seaman
I do not know if it is a remote oil filter system or standard.
what I can say is that the filter is upside down and it is on the upper side of the engine with 2 pipes (main and return ) going into the engine.
According to the schematics it is a remote filter.

Attachments

• REMOTE OIL FILTER.pdf
    42.5 KB · Views: 0

Fun Times

Staff member
Yes that is the standard remote oil filter system.
Did you add oil down the tube of item number 2 / The threaded part?
Or in the filter itself?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I have been buying Napa Gold, which are made by Wix, forever and for everything. I wait for the annual sale and pick up a case at a time. Never ever (knock on my woody head) had one not immediately prime.

I agree with previous posts that it is not a bad pump. Fun Times and All Dodge knows what they speak

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... When ya start a cold motor, any motor, it takes a few seconds to pressurize the oil system,....

R055

Chief Petty Officer
May I ask you what timing cover you replaced it with? I've changed my cover 2 times now with the dorman cover and about 15 minutes after starting they leaked both times.
Was so pissed last year after the second one started leaking I covered the seams with 2 layers of permatex and enjoyed the season.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
May I ask you what timing cover you replaced it with? I've changed my cover 2 times now with the dorman cover and about 15 minutes after starting they leaked both times.
Was so pissed last year after the second one started leaking I covered the seams with 2 layers of permatex and enjoyed the season.

the Dorman stuff is generally made off shore. the plastic is way too soft to ever be considered an automotive part

you need to read this http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-bilge-finally and at least get the GM cover (preferably the canadian made one thru the GM performance parts division) or one of the aftermarket billet aluminum covers. I prefer the billet aluminum cover. - it was developed to repair the leaking GM covers

R055

Chief Petty Officer
the Dorman stuff is generally made off shore. the plastic is way too soft to ever be considered an automotive part

you need to read this http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...-bilge-finally and at least get the GM cover (preferably the canadian made one thru the GM performance parts division) or one of the aftermarket billet aluminum covers. I prefer the billet aluminum cover. - it was developed to repair the leaking GM covers

Thanks

shanz_2008

Seaman
Yes that is the standard remote oil filter system.
Did you add oil down the tube of item number 2 / The threaded part?
Or in the filter itself?

I add oil down the tube (threaded part) and as soon as i started the engine pressure went up to normal.

Fun Times

Staff member
I add oil down the tube (threaded part) and as soon as i started the engine pressure went up to normal.
That's what I was figuring. Maybe it just needed primed but like mentioned I'd personally still be just a little worried about that particular filter.

Have you had a chance to start the other engine as of yet?