Mercruiser outdrive wont come out

alldodge

Staff member
The bearing should be removed prior to removing bell housing, but can be installed at anytime but I would suggest doing it last. The exhaust boot is the hardest to get back on, and this is the reason many install the exhaust tube instead. The tube works the same as the boot but is not connected on the bell housing side. this also increases the sound heard while running on plane, but its not that much

In the link below are some vids and also a link from sterndrives. I like the write up by them and covers about everything
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...t+instructions

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am not replacing the bellows. They look and feel great. I went into my garage tonight in the dark and shined a flashlight into the gimbal housing area. No light came out when I moved the whole assembly around. There was nothing left of the gasket when I removed the outdrive so maybe that is where the water came from. I am cleaning it out now and putting the bearing in. I want to be on the lake Sunday. I will come back and remove the outdrive again to see if I took on any water. If I did, then I already have the bellows. I found an individual who can do it for me for $250. I plan on watching him so I learn to do it myself the next time

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Another vote for replacing u-joints. They can feel great by hand and rumble like a freight train when running. For the cost of them from your local auto parts, it ain't worth leaving wet ones in there.

Fun Times

Staff member
The 2 reasons they want you to drill the hole in the bar backed out 1/4 inch +? is so that when you install the bearing using the alignment bar, one is to hold the round bearing driver In place and 2 is so when the bearing is or becomes nearly fully seated you don't slam/keep hitting the engine coupler/flywheel/crankshaft assembly possibly causing damage nor not seating the bearing - in turn you'll be giving the bar more room to be able to go all the way in to seat the bearing properly being backed out.

Last edited:

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can't find a video on YouTube about how to replace the ujoints for the mercruiser. I don't have that retaining pin on the basic automotive ujoints. When I did my dodge I used a socket and a hammer. I'm trying to find a step by step guide

alldodge

Staff member
Replacing U-joints on the Merc are the same as any car/truck which uses pressed in cups and retaining rings. You can get the special tools but can also use the socket and hammer. A large bench vise helps

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is this a grease fitting/? I have never seen one like this and don't know how to lube
16864588_1387197317998053_4933507372920678674_n.jpg

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If that is the needle fitting then I will buy one tonight and greasethe balls out of it

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is no place for a needle but it appears that nippl thing is screwed in because I see thread

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do I grease this? It looks lik a bravo ujoint but I cannot find anything on this through any zerk website

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looks like a button head grease fitting with some kind of cap on it. Does that cap pull back and reveal a hole for grease to enter? If so then you can use a button head adapter on a regular grease gun.

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Does it look kinda like this?

Attachments

• photo259337.PNG
    photo259337.PNG
    440.5 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
If it looks like bobcat pic above it may unscrew. If it does it should be able to be replaced with a standard zerk fitting. Could, as before just leave it or replace the joint