Mercruiser outdrive wont come out

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I took the boat out yesterday and there was a lot of vibration and grinding coming from the rear of the boat. I decided to check the gimbal bearing (never done this before). I removed the six bolts, but the boat in forward gear and removed the cylinders for the trim. Most of the outdrive came out but it feels like it is stuck by the ujoint. Did I do something wrong?

16681683_1375828162468302_7333684880497421705_n.jpg

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK I got it out. I had to turn the steering wheel completely straight. Well the bellows are filled with mudy water and the bearing is grinding bad

alldodge

Staff member
OK I got it out. I had to turn the steering wheel completely straight. Well the bellows are filled with mudy water and the bearing is grinding bad

Good to hear you got it out, now time for boots, bearing and probably U joints

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The serial number is 0F514463. Do I need that to buy a kit or are the kits universal?

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The ujoints are brown and wet but they turn freely with nothing loose or grinding. Ujoints are good by me, but I may replace them depending on how long it takes to do the bellows. I have to order all of the tools today

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Based off of that serial number I do not know if I have a gen 1, or 2, or alpha or bravo

alldodge

Staff member
You have an Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive
Your Mercruiser part number for the kit is 30-803099T1 and it comes with all boots, hose, clamps and gaskets. I would recommend replacing with Mercruiser brand only. There are cheaper kits from GLM and Sierra but its your boat.

The U joint part number is 805536A1

Go to the Adults only section (link in my sig) for procedures

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is the current condition, I am taking a break for a week until I get the parts

16684211_1375999739117811_2869567589484575752_n.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
If the U joints have grease fittings lube them up, if not go ahead and use them. If they are going bad it's easy enough to replace them later.

While its out, change the gear lube, and check alignment. If its been over 5 years since the last time the impeller was changed, might think about that also

Bondo

Staff member
Well the bellows are filled with mudy water and the bearing is grinding bad
The ujoints feel like they are still greased pretty good

Ayuh,.... You can change 'em Now,...
Or you can change 'em later,.... They were runnin' underwater,....

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the U joints have grease fittings lube them up, if not go ahead and use them. If they are going bad it's easy enough to replace them later.

While its out, change the gear lube, and check alignment. If its been over 5 years since the last time the impeller was changed, might think about that also
I have already drained all of the gear oil. It looked good and there was no water. The ujoints do not have grease fittings. I will wait until later to change them. I just ordered the total bellow/bearing repair kit, hinge tool, alignment tool and the puller/installer. I also got some spindle grease. Once those parts get here I will start taking this apart. I have no idea what an impeller is but I will research now. Thanks

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class
The impeller is the water pump. Simpel to replace. Go ahead and ask if you're not sure!

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I pulled out the gimbal bearing and it was shot. The kit I used said to drill a hole in the push rod which I'm assuming is the alignment tool. What kind of drill bit should I use? Does it need to be cobalt? What size? 1/2 inch is too big

Here is the puller and pusher I ordered. Thanks guys

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271216955217?_mwBanner=1

alldodge

Staff member
. The kit I used said to drill a hole in the push rod which I'm assuming is the alignment tool. What kind of drill bit should I use? Does it need to be cobalt? What size? 1/2 inch is too big

I'm missing something, what kit did you get which says to drill a hole in what push rod?

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's the kit in the link I sent.
The directions say before I remove the bearing I have to :
Attach disc to push rod and insert into gimbal housing until flush. Mark the rod. Pull put both tools. Mark 1/4 inch toward the end of rod from original mark. Drill hole in push rod at second mark.
That's basically it. So I market it but I don't know how I will drill a decent hole in that push rod (alignment tool)

Good news is that the engine is aligned ;)

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like it's wanting the hole to set the depth of the bearing, this way when the new bearing is installed it goes in the same depth. This is just guessing though. Send a message to the ebay guy and ask them about it.

Doesn't make since to me to set the depth, its driven in until it bottoms out, just need to make sure it reached bottom

littleguydave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's kinda how I feel. Just grease it and tap it lightly and evenly until it's seated.

I think my bellows and bearing come in today. Is there an order to make it easier? Or should I do the bellows first and then the bearing last? I think I get my hinge pin in the mail today too