Mate 351W to 1985 inner plate

K9hondo

Recruit
I have a 1974 Winner with a Mercruiser (Ford) 351W. I upgraded the gimble housing, bell housing, and inner plate to a 78-83 mated to a new SE106 outdrive.

My question involves the flywheel cover to inner plate. The original plate doesn't quite match the bolt pattern of the 78-83 gimble housing. I have plenty of material and could enlarge the holes just a bit. It wouldn't be a problem to do this, but since I have the correct inner plate for that gimble housing, I'd like to use it.

The engine mounting holes are different (much narrower on the 78-83) so the 75 flywheel cover doesn't match up. I can't find a newer flywheel cover to match the newer inner plate. I know mercruiser didn't use Ford engines very long. Is there anywhere to find a matching flywheel cover, adaptor to fit the older cover to newer plate, or should I just modify the older inner plate? Thanks in advance for all the help.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Sounds like you are trying to put a square peg in a round hole. What are the parts in the boat off of? (what engine) I think you will have lots of issues trying to put a ford on a chevy transom mount. I recommend that at this point you find a motor that goes with the transom mount you have installed. things will not line up otherwise (exhaust y pipe, pto shaft, engine mounts, cooling lines, electrical).

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
My question involves the flywheel cover to inner plate. The original plate doesn't quite match the bolt pattern of the 78-83 gimble housing. I have plenty of material and could enlarge the holes just a bit. It wouldn't be a problem to do this, but since I have the correct inner plate for that gimble housing, I'd like to use it.

Exactly how would you align that to the engine coupler, the rear motor mount plate and keep the engine alignment
Best thing would be to dump the 351 and go with a merc 6.2

Bondo

Staff member
I know mercruiser didn't use Ford engines very long. Is there anywhere to find a matching flywheel cover, adaptor to fit the older cover to newer plate, or should I just modify the older inner plate?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,....... I ain't tried to do what yer wantin' to do, But,.....

As far as I know, the only hope of mountin' a Ford motor in front of anything newer that the MC-1 is to use the old inner plate,....

There's never been a Ford patterned flywheel cover with the closer Alpha 1, 'n later bolt spacin',....

While fittin' the inner plate oughta be easy enough, gettin' proper alignment of the motor, 'n depth of the splines is the Unknown that's gonna take trail, 'n error,....

If ya decide to go this route, keep Us posted, I'd love to know whether it'll fit up, 'n align proper,...... ;)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Kennedy engineering adapter for the Ford motor to gm bellhousing, custom spacer of same thickness between flywheel and coupler

This is where a hot ridding background comes in handy.

However a new gm motor would be easier and probably cheaper

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
/
whatever thickness the adaptor is, reduces the length of the inputshaft engagement

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I see you guys are all recommending the 6.2 (in front of an Alpha no less)........wish you were around when I did my 5.7...........:)
​A 383 stroker is on my bucket list!