Water in the Oil

jobrown

Seaman
No Title

Yea the intake is definitely the worst. Some of the veins are a lot worse than others there is even a line on this one from where the water was sitting

Attachments

• photo257757.JPG
    photo257757.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo257758.JPG
    photo257758.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo257759.JPG
    photo257759.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
There will always be rust in the water channel port, the issue is there is water showing up in side the intake. So my guess is the intake has a crack in it or a gasket was leaking. The previous pics didn't show signs that a gasket was leaking from what I could see

water.jpg

jobrown

Seaman
Yea no signs of obvious gasket failure. I'm thinking the exhaust manifold is leaking into the combustion chamber and whatever cylinder has an open intake valve is letting the water go into the intake and sit.

jobrown

Seaman
No Title

Water would not have came into the intake and just sit and make a rust line like this. Had to have came in after killing the motor.

Attachments

• photo257764.JPG
    photo257764.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Yea no signs of obvious gasket failure. I'm thinking the exhaust manifold is leaking into the combustion chamber and whatever cylinder has an open intake valve is letting the water go into the intake and sit.

So your saying water runs up hill and does not flow back down into the other intake ports

Water would not have came into the intake and just sit and make a rust line like this. Had to have came in after killing the motor.

That is the head water jacket

jobrown

Seaman
The exhaust manifolds are as high as the carb, I think it's just draining through a crack. I'll do the acetone test on the manifolds tomorrow at work. Perks to being. Science teacher. I have gallons of acetone.

jobrown

Seaman
So your saying water runs up hill and does not flow back down into the other intake ports

That is the head water jacket

Not a head water jacket. That's the very front port intake hole that mates to the head. But yea it's just as rusted as the cooling veins.

jobrown

Seaman
Manifolds passed the acetone test tonight. Heads will get pulled this weekend I guess.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Reassemble and pressure test. Pulling the heads makes it impossible to know if there is a crack unless in an obvious spot.

jobrown

Seaman
Reassemble and pressure test. Pulling the heads makes it impossible to know if there is a crack unless in an obvious spot.

Totally should have done that before pulling it apart. I called a mechanic in town the day I found it and he said its the head gasket. So I went to tearing it apart. Currently only have the manifolds and intake off. I assume pressure testing will let me know if theres a crack in the block? Im Still not sure what all pressure testing entails I need to do some research on it. If anyone has a link to a good thread about it let me know, until then Ill read through whatever comes up on the search bar.

AllDodge I'll test the intake this afternoon. Didnt even think about doing that, thanks for the idea.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Pretty easy. Install intake. Plug all the hoses going to the manifolds. Pull the water in line off the thermostat housing and pressurize to 10-12 pounds there. Have to build something that lets you not only observe the pressure, but add pressure. Good way is a short rubber hose with a PVC end that Tees to a Schrader valve like on a tire, and a pressure gauge so you can observe pressure. Use a stethoscope to listen.

Last edited:

jobrown

Seaman
No Title

I tried last night to set it up but I couldn't get a good seal on anything just had air coming out of everywhere. Pulled the heads this morning checking the cylinder walls. Have some suspect rust spots. Obviously the head and valves have some rusting as well. Neither head gasket appeared to be seated around the front and back of the motor. But I don't see any blow outs?

Attachments

• photo257986.PNG
    photo257986.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Getting it down that far might as well overhaul the whole thing

jobrown

Seaman
Update: It was the risers.... they were rusted out bad and pretty much turned into cast iron swiss cheese. Heads got redone anyways, had the valves and such cleaned up and new valve guides. Got the new risers in today. Anyone gets water in their oil, pull the risers. (after doing a pressure test)