Water in the Oil

jobrown

Seaman
Boat Info: 1977 Cobalt 19CD
Motor: 1987 GM Crate 305 (VM127337)

Boat last ran in October with no issues. Last summer I did have problems with it running rough after it got warmed up. Got bad by the ned of the summer to the point that I had to idle it back to the ramp once, giving it throttle seemed to flood the motor and it was hard to restart. Replaced the ignition coil in the fall, ran it a few hours and everything seemed great. After warming up it does have a problem starting, the starter turns a quarter and seemed to get stuck. Figured it was just the starter getting hot, because cold it was turn over easy and pop right off. Looking back Im wondering if those things have anything to do with what I found today.

Well that leads to today. Started pumping the oil out of the dip stick tube and the first couple pumps came out way too fast. Ended up with a couple cups of water before the oil started coming out. Instantly stopped what I was doing and went to this site and started searching. There are many great threads on this already, I just wanted to start my own and get feedback while on the journey.

My first hope, by far, is a gasket. God please let it be a head gasket.

Ive read about issues with the exhaust cooling coming back through the valves. Sounds scary and Im less clear on that so i will be doing more research on that.

Worst case I assume is a cracked block. I dont want to even imagine that right now. But i will need to research how to test it.

I guess now I need to go buy a manual.

And get a prescription for nausea.

alldodge

Staff member
After warming up it does have a problem starting, the starter turns a quarter and seemed to get stuck

This would make me thing the motor is not timed correctly.

Well that leads to today. Started pumping the oil out of the dip stick tube and the first couple pumps came out way too fast. Ended up with a couple cups of water before the oil started coming out. Instantly stopped

First don't stop, get the rest of the oil and water out.
This sounds like the water came out first, so had the motor run at all before you started changing the oil? If it had run to warm up, was the oil milky?

jobrown

Seaman
Didnt warm it up, Im at an apartment in a garage below the building with no electrical connections or running water. To warm it up Id have to take it to the lake. Im at work now and will be until 10 tonight, Im done pumping that little pump Im just going to pull the plug and drain it out the back. Ill clean it up with purple power take it to the power wash.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Water can get in the engine a number of ways. Probably least likely is a head gasket. More likely is cracked exhaust manifold, leaking riser to manifold gasket, cracked block - maybe a leaking intake gasket from a loose or corroding intake.

Cracked block is easiest to test. You plug off the water exits and pressurize the cooling system. Listen for air leaks with a stethoscope. Typically caused by improper winterization. This will usually show if the issue is the intake gasket as well.

Pulling and checking the riser gasket is next. This is usually cause by rusting of the gasket surface. If too much corrosion may have to replace exhaust manifold and risers.

Cracked manifolds are a little harder. Have to remove them and acetone test them.

jobrown

Seaman
Yall wouldnt just pull the intake manifold and see what there is to see? Im sure Ill have to pull the exhaust manifold as well?

If its a cracked block thats a waste of time I guess?

alldodge

Staff member
Didnt warm it up, Im at an apartment in a garage below the building with no electrical connections or running water. To warm it up Id have to take it to the lake. Im at work now and will be until 10 tonight, Im done pumping that little pump Im just going to pull the plug and drain it out the back. Ill clean it up with purple power take it to the power wash.

It comes out real easy once warm. You can pump it out with a $10 drill pump and a drill.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...wtXu1DVojBNh0vxb_gdlUaAnky8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just put a little oil in the pump so it has some lube to help before the oil starts coming

alldodge

Staff member
Yall wouldnt just pull the intake manifold and see what there is to see? Im sure Ill have to pull the exhaust manifold as well?

Since there were no other signs it may just be the exhaust manifolds, how old are they?

jobrown

Seaman
I just need to find a water hose hook up. Or talk my wife into buying a house. Or run it to the lake tomorrow. Man Im just sick thinking about it.

Rick Stephens

Admiral

Pulling the intake manifold is a one trick pony that has to be put back on to test the block.

Pulling the exhaust is a no brainer, if you have water, pull and test unless you prove the block is the issue.

The two most likely culprits are block or manifolds. Worse thing you can do is pull the motor apart and then try and test stuff to find a possible crack - even magnafluxing is much less than perfect at finding cracks. Best test for a block is pressure testing which is done assembled.

alldodge

Staff member
Just pulled the plugs there's water in literally every cylinder

Need to get the water out and put some oil in each cylinder, crank it over some to belch the water oil. Do put more oil in the block so your not cranking without it. Then get the exhaust manifolds off

Pull the drive so you don't damage the impeller without water

alldodge

Staff member
Any kind of oil in the cylinders is good, you don't want rust building up. In the motor just use your regular oil

jobrown

Seaman
Pulled the carb, intake is almost off, pulling the distributor now. Already see some carnage in the intake.

jobrown

Seaman
No Title

Thoughts?

Attachments

• photo257749.JPG
    photo257749.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo257750.JPG
    photo257750.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo257751.JPG
    photo257751.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
I think your intake is leaking
fetch

The other pics don't look to bad

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
When the intake itself is like that, I'd have to agree with alldodge. Is it likely that water is entering through the carb while it's sitting?