Alarms

Rubber ducky

Recruit
I have a 2006 Bayliner trophy 2052wa and I was getting it ready to take out fishing, did my start up motor was running fine got up to Temp and alarm went off. Replaced the impeller and thermast started back up ran fine tell the temp got up to 185 deg and alarm went off again! All fluids are fine. I am stumped on where to go from here? Any one have any input?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Was the impeller damaged? Your cooling system may be clogged with bits of rubber.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree what you working on?
Was the old impeller intact or pieces?

Rubber ducky

Recruit
I am working on a 4.3 liter mercruzer alpha 1 gen 2! The impeller had little wearing and small grooving but still intact!

alldodge

Staff member
Is see you boat in fresh water, is the motor raw water cooled or heat exchanger?

An engine serial number would help much. Trying to figure if your EFI or MPI and if you have the 7 point drain or 3 point system

Rubber ducky

Recruit
So I boat in 50/50 fresh salt water. I was not familiar with a raw water system therefore when ever I used my boat in the salt I have always ran in the lake in the way home never ran on land, tell I did a flush of coolant for the 3 week cold snap we had. I hooked it up to the ear muffs like all other boats I have owned and did the flush not knowing that the motor had to be ran off the Sea strainer underneath the boat. Long story short I am sure I have found the problem the raw water pump and impeller are probably shot. Now I know where that is located on a 2006 4.2 liter Mercruiser 6 cylinder motor?? Thank you for any help you may have

Rubber ducky

Recruit
Sorry I do not know were it is located and the line Frome the strainer disappears under the motor and I can't trace it.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm not understanding what you have. Most boats of your size does not have a sea strainer. Guess I should have said its either open or closed cooling. Open cooling pulls water and pushes it thru the motor. Closed cooling pulls water and pushes it thru a heat exchanger. The other side of the heat exchanger is filled with antifreeze.

Are you saying that the water comes in thru a pickup on the bottom of the boat and not the outdrive.

Can you post some pics of what you have?

Rubber ducky

Recruit
As soon as I can get some in the day lite I will post, I go to work in the dark come home in the dark. So I found out that my boat has a factory upgrade to a fresh water cooling system. And it's not the normal 4.2 liter Alpha it's a bravo which is another factory change! It has been confusing trying to figure this out! So now onto finding were the pump is!

alldodge

Staff member
With the Bravo drive it should be below the motor on the starboard side and belt driven

thumpar

Admiral
Take some pics. It is very very rare for a V6 to have a Bravo and usually it would be a B3 since a 6 will never need the extra power handling going to the B1. If it is a Bravo the pump is where AD stated.