2 questions about Apla 1 water pump kit replacement

FreddyTT

Cadet
Hi here,

I have a 1988 5.7L Mercruiser with an Alpha 1. This is the second time I have replaced a water pump kit. This year, with the experience of doing it once last year, I had a little bit more confidence to do it again, and noticed a couple things I wanted to ask about. I get a kit from my local boat shop and it comes with more O rings and gaskets than I need. Last year, my first time, I matched up everything based upon what I took out...this year, with a manual, watching videos and after having done it once before, I realized there is a rubber seal that slides over the shaft and sits on top of the impeller housing and another O ring that goes on the shaft toward the spline at the top in that groove. (I am aware of the little red one where the oil travels)

Last year when I pulled the lower drive off, I didnt see either the shaft O ring or the rubber seal on top of the impeller housing, so I never put them on from the kit that had extra gaskets and stuff because I didnt see it at the time when I pulled it out. Had no issues last year with them not there, but the manual I got shows they go on, so I made sure to put them on this year.

I found an O ring up inside the upper unit where the lower unit shaft slides into. I got really confused, because I could not see in my manual if there was supposed to be one up there? It was chewed up. This O ring has a metal band around it. Hard to explain, it was like a wound band, a tight spring like band, surrounding the rubber O ring which had a concave groove to accept the band. Based upon everything I can read/find, the only thing that should be up inside there is the lower unit shaft so the splines meet up to turn the prop and the only O ring that should be up in there, is on the shaft just below the spline where there is a groove for one. But the one that came in my impeller kit didn't look like the one I pulled out from up in there.

My friend and I both came to the conclusion that it must have been an old O ring that was on the lower unit shaft that slipped off in the past when removed and went unnoticed until I saw it. Dont know why there was any metal in that O ring because nothing in my kit looked like that. Maybe it was from another manufacturer, or a really old one? Are we correct in thinking there is only the O ring on the shaft under the spline that goes up in there?

The second question is the impeller housing. Last year the one I used had a protrusion at the top around the hole for the shaft. The rubber impeller rubbed on it and there was melted rubber at the top of the housing. The fins looked fine, the impeller was changed last year so it wasn't old. My friend noticed that and also that the new kit I got, this time a Mercury kit, not generic, didnt have the protrusion at the top. It was smooth. Has anyone else noticed anything like that with a non Mercury brand kit? Is it possible I was given a kit last time for a gen II Alpha 1 drive or something?

rcmpvet

Seaman Apprentice
There are two seals in the upper housing. The upper seal can only be accessed by removing the u-joint shaft. The lower seal can be easily removed. As for the groove on the shaft itself, Mercruiser used to require an O ring but has since removed that requirement. The other rubber seal you are talking about is the "slinger". Here is a schematic of the upper and lower with the part numbers you are asking about.

Upper - http://www.iboats.com/Mercruiser-St...0404383--session_id.069312898--view_id.272967 Look at parts # 13 and 14.

Lower - http://www.iboats.com/Mercruiser-1-...0404383--session_id.069312898--view_id.272970 It does not show the part in the schematic but it is Part #5, slinger. Which is placed on the shaft over top of the water pump.

FreddyTT

Cadet
I only removed the lower drive to replace the upper water pump parts. While the lower unit was out, when I looked up into the cavity where the shaft spline goes into, I noticed an O ring that was sitting in there and loose. Should there have been an O ring in there?

wrench 3

Commander
I only removed the lower drive to replace the upper water pump parts. While the lower unit was out, when I looked up into the cavity where the shaft spline goes into, I noticed an O ring that was sitting in there and loose. Should there have been an O ring in there?

There definitely should not be a loose O ring in there. Most people do not use the O ring in the groove on the shaft at the spline because they have a habit of getting out of place and damaging that seal #14.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That 'O ring with the metal band in it' is what's left of the lower of the 2 upper box seals. You need to replace it. Instructions are on my video on servicing Alpha water pump. The rubber ring above the impeller housing is a 'slinger' as already stated. Yes, it needs to be on. The 'O' ring for the groove at the top of the drive shaft should NOT be fitted. It has a nasty habit of getting hung up on the seal as the drive shaft inserts to the upper drive shaft and holding the seal open, allowing water into the area it's supposed to be protecting (seen it many times), and the water then corrodes out the spines in the upper drive shaft. DO NOT put that o ring on the top of the drive shaft (merc removed the groove later down the track)....

Chris.........

FreddyTT

Cadet
Thank you! That video you posted answered that question. What I found was exactly that. The lower seal from the top housing. Now I know what it is.