this looks like a good engine for a replacment

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Dont think i would spend that kinda of money for a engine without a warranty. It will work for in a boat fine, seen it done. But if it fails i will bet my bottom dollar it will not be under warranty due to misuse.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
[FONT=Roboto, sans-serif]Not Intended for Marine Use / and do not use for marine. are to totally different things to me. I think the price is beyond good with free shipping, evan better its on ebay for 100 cheaper it will be fresh water only. unless i take this boat with me when I go live on the caribbean witch is years out! plus its new! i like new.... [/FONT]

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Replace the head gaskets and replace the core plugs and it's now marine. Won't have a warranty though.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Replace the head gaskets and replace the core plugs and it's now marine. Won't have a warranty though.
I like that! really If i put it all in, and it pops shipping would cost a lot to replace it. id be so pissed id just scrap it anyway...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I like that! really If i put it all in, and it pops shipping would cost a lot to replace it. id be so pissed id just scrap it anyway...
I would find out if it has a truck cam in it first as well.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Looks to be a plain ole GM Goodwrench replacement motor,....

Pretty much exactly what the 305 long block I recently replaced is, only from Pace, insteada Jegs,....

They've all got composite head gaskets, not steel shim gaskets,....
They've also got ssteel core plugs, see my recent thread 'bout such,....
The cams are standard production, just like in a pickup,....

Dress it up, drop it in, align it, 'n Go boatin',....

No warranty, but so what, GM's quality control is pretty good, 'n the SBC is a proven platform,....
Usually, new motors I've seen go Bad, are from reasons other than the long block,....
Like if a lean condition detonated, 'n killed the old motor, the new motor ain't gonna last very long, unless fed plenty of good clean fuel,....

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
They've all got composite head gaskets, not steel shim gaskets,....

Usually, new motors I've seen go Bad, are from reasons other than the long block,....
Like if a lean condition detonated, 'n killed the old motor, the new motor ain't gonna last very long, unless fed plenty of good clean fuel,....

Cool, I was thinking it be the best value option. I got clean fuel no problem, the fuel now runs through a filter for the y connection to run the outboard also all clean hoses good pump, going to get a new 4barrl carb new intake manifold - freeze plugs are cheap, and a full on marine gasket set is not cheap . All my other parts are good shape .
put it all together and ill have one hell of a setup......

Bondo

Staff member
freeze plugs are cheap,

Ayuh,.... They're already Stainless Steel,.... No need to change 'em or any long block gaskets,....

alldodge

Staff member
IMO don't think there will be a reversion issue because if the cam is for a car or truck there shouldn't be that much valve overlap. My thought was if its a car cam and not a truck type the torque would come on higher in the rpm range. Boats need low end torque to get them up. Hope Bondo is correct

Core plugs should be stainless but check with a magnet to make sure.

Bondo

Staff member
My thought was if its a car cam and not a truck type the torque would come on higher in the rpm range. Boats need low end torque to get them up. Hope Bondo is correct

Ayuh,.... My thoughts are,......

That motor is the basic run of the mill factory standard replacement motor for a direct replacement of the run of the mill 350 that was originally installed in millions of standard run of the mill pickups, sedans, wagons, etc from Chevy, 'n the rest of the GM's that ran the Chevy motor,....
Also the same motor that's been powerin' boats since the SBC came to be, in the standard run of the mill Oem installations by various Marine power convertors, ei: Merc, Omc, Volvo, Crusader, etc,.....

The automotive cam, Vs: truck, RV, marine cam is as usual an overblown internet wife's tale,....
It should be a discussion 'bout Hot Rod cams, Vs: standard auto/ pickup/ truck/ RV/ marine cams,....

That motor should be a dependable replacement 260 hp V8, as much as a 10 hp B/S replacement motor is for a 10 hp B/S Oem motor,...

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Well I am sure Bondo is absolutely correct!!! He has never steered me wrong... I will let everyone know how it works out soon...