454 vs 383

Blackbart5

Seaman
Mariah made a nice boat, the only reason IMO they went belly up is they didn't have any cheap boats. Folks like Formula and Cobalt were in the business for a long time and have a strong following. Mariah wasn't in business long enough to get that kind of thing going.

To your questions; the 454 will work much better then your current setup. The reason to take the 383 over the 454 is the HP and Torque. The 383 will produce more at their current setup. The 383 is a stroked 350, so if you were to stroke the 454 it would way out do the 383. The 454 would out do the 383 even if it was just rebuilt with some slight mods

That's good info to know........it's a nice boat, not gonna lie and I'm seriously considering it, but I sure like the floor space of my deck boat, lol........the reasons I'm leaning towards the 383....weight, and hp/torque

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I'm just wanting to know which engine do you guys think would benefit me the most with a 5/6k lbs boat......aspirated 454 or fuel injected 383???? Yes I know the drive I have will not suffice. I have the bravo 1 and 3 available to install. I just wanna have a loaded boat and have fun.

Howdy, I have a stock '97 454+Bravo III in my 1987 21ft FourWinns Liberator.

At Lake Tahoe, I was able to get up on a plane (40mph) with 8 people and 3 (90lb) dogs in it.

If you can spend some money on the engine,I would suggest the 454...............for a boat that big I wouldn't consider any other drive than the Bravo III

Regards,

Rick

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I own a pair of 1 Ton trucks for towing, one with a 7.4L and the other with the 8.1L big block. When it comes to handling weight, nothing beats a big block for longevity and power. I often am at or over 26000 lbs GVW with either of them. Much as I love the 383, I'd rather have the BBC.

Rick

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Another vote for the 454. If you are a power addict (most of us are) you also reserve the option of stroking the 454 when budget allows or when it is time for a rebuild. On the other hand, with the 383, you are already maxed out.

alldodge

Staff member
Another vote for the 454. If you are a power addict (most of us are) you also reserve the option of stroking the 454 when budget allows or when it is time for a rebuild. On the other hand, with the 383, you are already maxed out.

Not really maxed out, you can still increase compression, change cam and other settings. My initial thought is how to get by with the least cost. Mentioning you can get a carb 454 or EFI 383, in just that case go with the 383. If you want later or going to build, go 454 or even better 502

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
I understand. But the recommendation in my post is pretty much what I would do myself. You can only increase compression so much on a marine engine and still find gas for it on water. More radical cam and reversion might occur and cause more problems than it is worth. If maxed out is not technically accurate. l would say it is pretty close.

Personally, I would take a carbed marine engine over EFI any time. ECUs - at least the way they are built right now on the cheap - and marine environment don't play well as it was proven many times over and again even on this very forum. But again, this is just me and to each his own. Doesn't make anyone more right or wrong ... just personal preference.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my $0.03

EFI primarily gets you the ability to adjust for changing barometric pressure and slightly better tunability over a carb for temperature. it is not a magic bullet fuel delivery system. in fact, most carbs will out perform EFI at WOT. EFI shines with part-throttle response and emissions

ignoring the displacement and other things such as combustion chamber, intake runner plenum shape and size, valve angle, valve diameter, etc.

a 383 is a 4.030 bore and a 3.75" stroke (0.030" overbore and 1/4" of stroke increase over the 350). the stock bore stroker is a 377
a 454 is a 4.25" bore and a 4" stroke

a bigger piston on a longer torque arm will always make more torque. Torque is the power generated. how fast you spin the torque is measured in HP.

then again, you can take a 454, add the same 1/4" to the stroke and add the same 0.060" overbore and end up with 496 cubic inches which will deliver over 600 lb-ft of torque and still rev up to 6200 RPM all day long with the appropriate cam and heads (do the math, thats well over 600hp and you need to get something stronger than a Bravo). a 0.030" overbore stroked BBC is a 489

the 502 is a 4.466 bore, 4" stroke big block with a 9.8" deck height (509 is 4.5" bore 4" stroke and the 540 is a 4.5" bore and 4.25" stroke)
the 8.1 is a tall deck (10.2" deck height) 4.25" bore and 4.370" stroke motor which is why the 8.1 more than out performs a 454 (7.4 liter)

the big block can be made up to 613 cubic inches (tall deck, aftermarket block, long stroke crank), add a blower or two and you have some serious hp (think off-shore race boats, top fuel dragsters, etc)
a small block can be made up to 427 cubic inches (tall deck, aftermarket block, long stroke crank) it will also make serious power, just not as much as its big brother.
The LS blocks can be made up to 500 cubic inches and pushed with custom heads, twin turbos and a supercharger to 1650hp (Mercury Racing 1650)

both BBC blocks and SBC blocks as well as the LS are available in aluminum

there is no replacement for pure displacement when it comes to torque.

remember, horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you carry the wall with you.

so back to the boat. to get the boat with all the people up on plane fast with a single engine. you need Torque to push the boat on plane.

go with a big block

Last edited:

FuelishBehavior

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No one ever says they wished they'd have gotten a smaller engine. For pure power and torque, the 454 will out perform a 383. There's no replacement for displacement. The 383 is a great engine but to get to the power you're needing to push that much weight you would have to have a very well built 383 requiring camshaft profiles that might cause reversion issues with an underwater exhaust system whereas the 454 could get the same "power" from a milder setup. Or, for just a few dollars more, bump that crank up 0.25" and get yourself a 496. Just my two center. GO WITH THE BIG BLOCK.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
my $0.03

the 502 is a 4.466 bore, 4" stroke big block with a 9.8" deck height (509 is 4.5" bore 4" stroke and the 540 is a 4.5" bore and 4.25" stroke)
the 8.1 is a tall deck (10.2" deck height) 4.25" bore and 4.370" stroke motor which is why the 8.1 more than out performs a 454 (7.4 liter)

My exerience with a 1999 Vortec EFI 7.4L hooked to a 5 speed - versus - a 2006 Vortec 8.1L EFI hooked to a 6 speed Alison tranny is the 8.1L has much more pulling power than the 7.4.. Both will pull major weight up almost anything. The 8.1 will pull it at whatever speed you can stomach the fuel costs. Drop the hammer and watch the fuel gauge drop. The 7.4L is a fine motor. It just keeps on chugging. I have had to do more maintenance on things like oil cooler hoses with the more complicated 8.1L+Alison configuration, but both motors have been flawless.