454 vs 383

Blackbart5

Seaman
Hello all boaters......I have a decision to make and need some advise......I have a '96 bayliner rendezvous 2659(4800lbs)....turd vortec 5.0( not original engine). I have a large family that loves the water. If all 11-13 people get on the boat, it's too much for the 5.0 to haul/plane out. I have the opportunity to chose between a 2005 model 383 fuel injected......OR a '94 model aspirated 454.......which one would be the best to plane out my boat with 11-13 people comfortably??????
Before the debate gets started, I am aware of the outdrive and what I have wont handle it. I'm changing that as well.

Bondo

Staff member
which one would be the best to plane out my boat with 11-13 people comfortably??????

Ayuh,.... Yer askin' to do the impossible, that sounds like a severely overloaded boat,....

To many variables too,....
Which drive is a biggie,....

alldodge

Staff member
Have to agree, that is a lot of folks even for a deck boat. The boat will need a Bravo drive and preferably a Bravo 3 drive. Probably the 383

Bay 2659 deck boat.jpg

Blackbart5

Seaman
Have to agree, that is a lot of folks even for a deck boat. The boat will need a Bravo drive and preferably a Bravo 3 drive. Probably the 383

Then why do boats under 27ft have a rating? Anyways, im just looking for advise about which engine would benefit me with a fully loaded down boat....whether im referring to weight or people....thanks

alldodge

Staff member
The 1800 is for the boat and fuel, anything else added to the boat reduces the weight. 1800 / 13 = 138 pounds each. Why its just the way its done to give a reference

Add an anchor, lines, other gear, then cooler of beverages. The deck boat is rated for more folks then your 26 foot runabout, but the 1800 goes quick. Even if your still within limits, there isn't much room left. Not saying they will, but water patrol has pulled others over and cited.

To get back to your original question, your going to need more torque to get the boat up. HP is good but its torque that gets it up

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Those ratings are usually unrealistic-either way high or low IMO anyway, back to the Q.

Have you tried experimenting with a lower pitch prop, props can make a BIG difference as far as torque. It also depends how much you went to spend on fuel 454 will use more gas -I would say a few more gph at WOT.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If these are all adults you 6 adults over the limit.Personally that size should have twins, not a single.
With 1 adult. that single 5.0 cant even do its job

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Try dropping the prop picth about 4" down on what you currently have. You'll find that will get that boat up with no problems. Or are you just anti-5.0?
I have to agree with all of the above even 10 on that boat is way too many. At anchor, parked up in a very quite river/lake, maybe the 13 stated, but start trying to run it, knock it back to 6 max.....

Chris........

Blackbart5

Seaman
Yes I have messed with props. I have trim tabs too. Right now, 5 people on a 4800lbs naked boat, so we'll over a 5,000lbs boat, that 5.0 has a hard time getting up. I'm just wanting to know which engine do you guys think would benefit me the most with a 5/6k lbs boat......aspirated 454 or fuel injected 383???? Yes I know the drive I have will not suffice. I have the bravo 1 and 3 available to install. I just wanna have a loaded boat and have fun.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Injected 383 makes more torque and power than a carbed 454. (they are both 'normally aspirated')

Chris.......

Last edited:

Blackbart5

Seaman
Injected 383 makes more torque and power than a carbed 454. (they are both 'normally aspirated')

Chris.......

Ok... With that being said, my best money spent on an engine between the two, would be the injected 383 over the carbureted 454?

Last edited by a moderator:

tpenfield

Staff member
I get my boat with 13 people up out of the water in about 4 seconds . . . . but that's a different story. :D

My advice with a heavily loaded boat and a single engine, having 300+ HP would be to get a 4 or 5 blade prop with a fairly low pitch. You will loose the high end speed, and you may have to be careful about over revving the engine, but that would be about all you can hope for.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
THe problem is your boat is very big and heavy for a single engine. When you add 13 people that probably brings it up to much more than 6000lbs which is a lot for that. As stated before, injected does give more torque.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
, but start trying to run it, knock it back to 6 max.....

Chris........

Eh I beg to differ considering I have had 5 adults and two kids in our 18 footer with a 4.3 and it goes just fine
Maybe 8 adults is what you should go with

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I have had 5 adults and two kids in our 18 footer
And you dont think it was unsafe either, Sounds like not enough room to swing a pole or net

Blackbart5

Seaman
I get my boat with 13 people up out of the water in about 4 seconds . . . . but that's a different story. :D

My advice with a heavily loaded boat and a single engine, having 300+ HP would be to get a 4 or 5 blade prop with a fairly low pitch. You will loose the high end speed, and you may have to be careful about over revving the engine, but that would be about all you can hope for.

Out of those thirteen, 8 are adults and the others are middle school kids........I think I'm gonna go with the 383/brv lll....I used to drag race and have built lots of motors, including 383's/454's.....BUT, I'm was also shifting gears, lol. The rat motors do have a lot of low end torque.....IF money doesn't permit, will the 454 suffice??

Blackbart5

Seaman

That's my baby right there, lol........literally just had a guy wanna trade me his 1997 Mariah z252 shabah 7.4 brav lll, very nice boat, solid floor, no water level stains, gel coat in good shape.......trade straight across.....he's always wanted a deck boat and he's, "heard a lot of good things about the rendezvous 2659's" ???

alldodge

Staff member
Mariah made a nice boat, the only reason IMO they went belly up is they didn't have any cheap boats. Folks like Formula and Cobalt were in the business for a long time and have a strong following. Mariah wasn't in business long enough to get that kind of thing going.

To your questions; the 454 will work much better then your current setup. The reason to take the 383 over the 454 is the HP and Torque. The 383 will produce more at their current setup. The 383 is a stroked 350, so if you were to stroke the 454 it would way out do the 383. The 454 would out do the 383 even if it was just rebuilt with some slight mods