New Member, new to inboards

Special 1- dog

Recruit
Just bought a 1990 Reinell, 4 cyl, has been sitting for a couple of years, has only 127 hours on the boat, has been in the same family all of this time, and stored indoors, boat in great shape, question is , beside changing the impellers should I do any other major maintenance before starting?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
remove the drive, inspect/service the U joints, inspect /replace gimbal bearing, check engine alignment and oil pan for rust spots/leakage.
Clean the cable connections at the battery and engine block and starter post. Verify operation of bilge pump(s)

eavega

Lieutenant
What kind of engine are you talking about here? Not familiar with Reinell, but will assume a Mercruiser 3.0L. If it had been sitting around for a couple of years, I would definitely change out all the fluids (oil, trim pump. Gear lube), filters (oil, fuel-water separator). I would change out the spark plugs and inspect the distributor (if that one has a distributor) . I would discard any remaining fuel in the tank and fill it with fresh. I would drop the lower unit for an inspection and alignment check, and while I am at it grease the bearings. After I was satisfied that all that had been done, I would start it up.

-E

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
yep, these boys have summed it up well.. your engine have points or electronic ignition?. if points, change em out with new... points that sit around unused corrode quickly......

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Also check all the bellows and the water pocket cover....