Bravo 3 Upper and Lower ?

bobterisch

Seaman Apprentice
Happy new year all,
Doing maintenance on 2002 5.7 MPI. I have the drive off for bellows, bearing and alignment checks. Is there any reason to separate the upper and lower halves of a 2002 Bravo for possible problems or maintenance. Only got this boat last year so i do not know if it was ever done.
Thanks
Bob

tpenfield

Staff member
I would not do it unless there is a specific problem that you are trying to fix. All the things you mentioned can be done with the outdrive off as one piece.

thumpar

Admiral
I have never split my Bravo. The only reason I would split my Alpha was for impeller.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
There may be nothing in there to 'check', but it's not a bad idea to split the halves, just so they don't corrode together and make it messy when you do need to separate them....

JMHO.

Chris.........

alldodge

Staff member
The one on my Rinker has never been split, but I'm also in fresh water

Oh and it sits on a trailer 90 % of the time

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I just serviced an Alpha One drive that hadn't been look at in 5 years :facepalm: and getting the anode bolt out almost required melting the anode out. Even with all the bolts and nuts off, it was still quite stuck... There are alignment dowel pins that need to be kept free (split the drive every couple of year) and if they corrode up, they can be a nightmare to free.

Yes, this boat also sat on a trailer when not being used, and was thoroughly washed down at the end of each days' use.

Chris........

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
You might be right, but those pins are not sealed and do you think that spraying water on it wouldn't get it all out. As before you may just be right, but mine lasted 22 years and there are no signs of paint flaking around the edge of the two halves, so I'm going to roll the dice