Verifying Tach on 1994 3.0

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
Ok guys im pulling my hair out here i have a 1994 3.0 my tech started acting crazy so I decided to check it with my shop engine analyzer which is a actron cp7677 I hooked it up at the tach put it on 4 cylinder ideal seamed right but half throttle it was showing 6500 rpm this is with a 14.5 23p test prop i put on so i would know it wasn't getting over revved so I put it on 8 cylinder and it brought readings back down to 3100 at WOT ok I can believe that but now its showing ideal at 360 no way is there some thing different about a marine engine thats not the same and auto any help would be great

Alumarine

Captain
What are you connecting the tach to?
Is this electronic ignition or points style?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
an engine is an engine, dosent matter where. you 3.0 could never turn a 23 pitch that fast ,period. Most run 13 -3/4 x 21P and max out at the stated rpm.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my 3.0 ran a 19P and on a good day with calm waters could hit 4700 RPM

spinning a 23p, the motor wouldnt make it over 3100 RPM

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
an engine is an engine, dosent matter where. you 3.0 could never turn a 23 pitch that fast ,period. Most run 13 -3/4 x 21P and max out at the stated rpm.

Yes I know that ... the only reason I put the 23 on was I knew that I couldnt over revve motor it was just for testing the tach

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
So basically with my test tach set on 8 cylinder the 23 prop would show 3100 on test tach ok I'm happy with that and it's Beleivable but when I throttle back to idle I'm only showing around 360 rpm that I don't Beleive

wrench 3

Commander
I have seen an electronic ignition double spike before and still run not bad. It just gets a waste spark part way down the power stroke. The only way to tell for sure is to put a scope on it.
It's usually caused by a pick up on the way out but could be a module. Again the only way to tell is to check the pattern on the pick up with a scope.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
These ignition systems fire on both compression and exhaust stroke by design. You need to set your shop gear to think it's dealing with an 8 cylinder engine.

Chris.........

Last edited:

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
Ok quick update I run the boat in the yard and checked rpm with three diffrent methods at the same time. In-dash tach, the actron engine analyzer set on 4 cylinder, and a fluke meter set on hertz at first at first all three was the right inline with one another 750 RPM @ idle then the in-dash tach started climbing to about 2300 @ idle. ok so I know tach is bad but what I don't get is when I was on the water if I set the engine analyzer to 4 Cylinder then running across water half to 3/4 throttle that same setting is reading 6500 RPM ( is that even possible ) but when I change the setting on the engine analyzer to 8 cylinder it reads 3100 seams about right but at idle it only reads 360 so that cant be right I'm at a lose I don't know what to go by...... I have another tach kinda would like to know its right when i put it in the boat....

wrench 3

Commander
These ignition systems fire on both compression and exhaust stoke by design. You need to set your shop gear to think it's dealing with an 8 cylinder engine.

Chris.........

A '94 3'0L Mercruiser shouldn't be running a wast spark system.

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
Everything I have read says two pulses per Revolution which is the same as any 4 cylinder Chevrolet engine....

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Maybe your distributor cap is bad and cross firing. Throw your tach on your car just to get a baseline. If your tach functions properly on another engine then the problem is definitely with the ignition system on your motor.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Everything I have read says two pulses per Revolution which is the same as any 4 cylinder Chevrolet engine....

Yep, EST uses a distributor with cap and rotor run off the camshaft... One pulse per cylinder per 2 revolutions, just like a points system. Something sounds a bit screwy with either your test gear or something else. Where are you taking the pickup for the test gear from? I have an advance timing light (which gives revs on the screen) and it uses a pickup that hooks to one of the spark plug leads. If your system uses the same thing, try on #4 lead, close to the spark plug and away from the other leads (It may be picking up a second pulse from a lead running next to the pickup)....

Chris........

markhodges78

Chief Petty Officer
My Shop tach reads the signal from the tach signal wire just as a tach would and I am connecting it at the tach

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
a 3.0 cannot rev to 6500 it maxes out at around 4800 then valves start floating if I recall correctly but look that up to be sure