470 mercruiser rebuilt engine install questions

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Disregard that fuel pump battery Question. Positive wire going directly to battery would always have power, so switch wouldn't matter.
I guess the issue would be if #1 battery died, you would lose fuel pump. So I'd want the fuel pump hooked into both batteries somehow?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
If you hook the fuel pump to the red wire (large terminal) of the slave relay or the large battery terminal of the starter it should have power from whichever battery you are using to run the engine.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Not sure what you're referring to as 'oil cooler'. There is an ENGINE oil cooler on some of those engines, and it consists of a 'pan' in the bottom of the intake manifold. The oil cooler that looks like a conventional cooler (about 5" long, thin, fits in a water line after the heat exchanger) is the cooler for the POWER STEERING oil, not the engine oil.

Chris......

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
You can see it in the Merc manual on the 485 version and if I remember right on the 488. I'm not with manual it or I'd show the page. The oil cooler looks similar to the power steering cooler. It just flows through it before going into the intake manifold.
Boat I am working on, engine was disassembled but it came with the adapter setup where the oil filter goes onto block. 2 hoses come off the assembly.

My intake looks just like the intake from my newer parts 1988 engine, it didn't have an oil cooler. So I'm not really sure what's up with that, I'm not going to install the cooler. Brings up next question.

I'm wondering if I should bother installing the power steering? the wheel turns the outdrive very easy. If I leave power steering off one less thing to worry about down the road. Will it be necessary if it turns easily without it?

alldodge

Staff member
I'm wondering if I should bother installing the power steering? the wheel turns the outdrive very easy. If I leave power steering off one less thing to worry about down the road. Will it be necessary if it turns easily without it?

You don't need PS with the motor OFF and not much at idle. Start applying power and it will get hard to steer real fast

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone have drawings that show intake and exhaust manifolds. Want to be sure I'm using right bolts/lengths. Manual doesn't show much. I have some extra longer ss bolts and studs because there are some from the parts engine and they got mixed up.

I have the aluminum exhaust manifold, and I have 7 stainless steel bolts that look like the right length. One image I found online shows a stud and a bolt on the exhaust manifold. Doesn't say how many of each is used etc or lengths. And not sure what year engine it was.
I'm assuming the 7 bolts I have are correct for the exhaust manifold? All stick out the same distance.

From what I've found intake needs 7 bolts about 1-3/8ths long.

I also have other same diameter bolts in different lengths and some studs. The studs are long enough to use on exhaust manifold.

I have five 3/8ths studs all the same length.
3 are course threadX fine-
other 2 are coursesX course.

There all long enough to use on the exhaust manifold. I do know for sure the three course threadX fine studs came with the newer parts engine.

Maybe there line up bolts for exhaust manifold?

Then there's 2 other 3/8ths stainless studs that are 1/4" longer than the other 7 I mentioned.

Last edited:

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

On that last sentence I meant 2 other longer bolts, not studs. On the newer parts boat I think there was throttle or shift linkage attached to exhaust manifold. On this boat it's behind engine.

Attachments

• photo258556.PNG
    photo258556.PNG
    620.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
On the distributor. If its shoulder sits flush on block, does that guarantee It is hooked up to oil pump properly?
Manual mentions a line up tool, and to be careful distributor is mated to pump properly.

Makes me wonder even if if it looks like its in, chance it could be off. How can you be sure?

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
How do you guys drain the oil on these engines without making a mess?

And since I'll be installing the electric fuel pump; Do I just plug the outlet on the carb that goes to the intake manifold, its a Small Tigon hose. I think its a safety if the mechanical fuel pump fails?

I've Made a little progress. Intake and exhaust manifolds are bolted up.
Next is alternator bolt up, and power steering. This should go smooth, I have the alternator bracket from the 88 parts boat.

alldodge

Staff member
How do you guys drain the oil on these engines without making a mess?

I suck the oil out thru the dipstick, but don't know if the 470 will get most all the oil out using this method.

And since I'll be installing the electric fuel pump; Do I just plug the outlet on the carb that goes to the intake manifold, its a Small Tigon hose. I think its a safety if the mechanical fuel pump fails?

Yes just plug it and that is why it was there for the mechanical fuel pump

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
My replacement carb has an extra tube out the bottom. I'm not sure what it's for, it hits my valve cover. The tube elbow is pressed in I can't unscrew it for a shorter radius elbow. I could cut it but it would be a pretty short nub?

Im guessing it goes to the air cleaner? I don't remember how the origional carb hooked up, or should say where.

Last edited:

aarons 470

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok I found the power steering hookup on the actuator. It is about a quarter inch pipe thread size but its machine type thread. I hooked hose from power steering pump to it.

There is another hole beside it, that's about 3/8 pipe thread size. It's probably machine thread as well. What goes to this? The other hose off pump on mine is cut off. I guess a diagram is what I need so I can hook up the cooler also.

Disregard picture below

Last edited: