Alpha 1 Gen 2 Bearing Replacement (not gimbal bearing)

Shooterdustin

Recruit
Hello,

I purchased my current boat in the spring of this year and it worked relatively well during the summer months. It is a fiberglass cape with a 3.0 mercruiser and alpha 1 gen 2 sterndrive (OD782260). I figure the boat is around 24 years old, has not seen a ton of use, and was pretty well looked after. Now that boating is over until the spring, I have a chance to go over the boat to preform maintaince and make a couple of changes that I would not do during prime boating season. So, I have pulled the sterndrive assembly to clean, repair the damaged skeg and coat with fresh paint and decals. Once I got it off I noticed some of the seals are cracked and should be replaced so I have ordered seal kits for both the upper and lower units which I expect to arrive any day. The skeg is now good as new and the painting is complete.

However, last night I was inspecting the gears in upper unit, which look very good, but noticed there is some play in the pinion shaft bearings. I also noticed some play in lower unit drive shaft. All of the other bearings seem very good, but like I said, there is a noticeable amount of play in the pinion shaft and drive shaft. I assume this type of wear is quite normal for the year of the unit. When do they need to be replaced? I am concerned the play will affect the gear clearances. Perhaps I am overreacting a bit as I have a tendance to want everything on my boat to be perfect. If I replace the 4 bearings that are worn, will I have to re shim? or will can I just use the same shims that are in there?

I have to admit this job has taken me further than I anticipated, but I am too far to turn around now and I figure if they need attention... now is the time. I have all winter and a nice shop to work in. I look forward to some feedback that may help me out. Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you turn the drive upside down and recheck you will find everything in order GEN II gears push upward setting the gear lash. in a upright position the driveshaft will have noticeable play/ The tool used to check end play is spring loaded to force the driveshaft upward.
3B-60 in here http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14b3.pdf

Last edited:

Shooterdustin

Recruit
I think it is best for me to take it to a local boat mechanic. That way they can check it out for me. Thanks for your feedback.