350 MAG maximun normal operating temperature

Mauro Brisola

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 27 feet express cruiser with a 2013 300 HP 350 MAG Bravo 3 with 100 hours. Open cooling.

In normal use the engine temperature is allways between about 162 and 168. But when using engine near WOT for some minutes the temp starts to rise.

In fact I did not check the maximum achieved temperature in the Smartcraft during this condition yet. Even because I was enough scared to slower rpm to avoid a possible overheating situation. But is possible to see the rising tendency looking to temp gauge. Temp alarm never sound.

My doubt is if is it normal to the engine temperature to rise some degrees during high rpm use. Or not.

Thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I should never rise above 175 .The only time you may see it is after a long hard run and you just shut the motor off without giving it a chance to cool. When you go to restart it, you may see a high reading on the gauge that drops to normal. High speed overheats are caused by:
weak impeller/damaged impeller
"Bravoitis"
barnacles at the inlet
clogged risers

Mauro Brisola

Seaman Apprentice
Ok. Understood.

In the next run I'll better check if the maximum temp is above 175. Thank you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
have you serviced the impeller?

I am guessing this is either a new problem or a new to you boat.

also, the round gauge on the dash is merely an indicator. verify the temperature with an infared thermometer.