Steering cable help,..??

higgybaby74

Recruit
Hi Don S. I am in the middle of changing my steering cable and I have removed the cotter pin and clevis pin. I have loosened the coupler nut and pulled the cable as far as it can come out until it touches the starboard side of the boat but it is still not all the way out. I have attached pictures. Does it look like the sleeve still attached to the cable in the photo? Do I need to make an adjustment somewhere to make the cable shorter so I can pull it out all the way?

steering cable almost out.JPG

steering cable still in.JPG

Attachments

• steering cable still in.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 3
  • steering cable still in.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 3

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Don S took an exclusive contract a few years ago, fixin' the good Lord's boats,...

While I hear it's Great in Heaven, there ain't no internet connection, so Don won't be answerin' yer questions,.....

Did ya turn the wheel to full lock, retractin' the cable into the casin',..??

If ya Did, 'n it still won't clear, ya might have to pull the 2 big bolts holdin' the P/S unit to the inner transom plate to gain enough clearance,....

Btw,.... Don't post in threads older than 90 days, just start a thread of yer own, as I did here for ya,.....

higgybaby74

Recruit
Thank you for your help Bondo. I really need to get this cable out so I can measure it and order a new one. I was in the middle of changing the power steering pump and heard a SNAP! when I turned the steering wheel. It then turned freely from side to side up to a point before stopping. So I think the cable snapped.

higgybaby74

Recruit
Can someone tell me if the shaft in the first photo is supposed to come out of the sleeve? The cable is up against the starboard side of the boat and can't go any further. HELP!!!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
. see page 5-6 in my link How much force did you use trying to turn the steering wheel?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Due to lack of grease on the steering cable where it passes thru the guide tube caused it to seize in the guide tube. If you force the steering wheel you most likely broke the internal gears in the helm unit if the steering wheel keeps spinning around. determine if the helm unit is bad and either replace it and use heat and penetrating oil on the guide tube to free it. If that fails, cut the cable and remove the 2 large mounting bolts and heat and remove the remnents of the steering cable from the guide tube.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ayuh,....

If ya Did, 'n it still won't clear, ya might have to pull the 2 big bolts holdin' the P/S unit to the inner transom plate to gain enough clearance,....

Have you tried removing the power steering ram as Bondo suggested?

Also, steering cables have the length marked on them if the writing hasn't worn off.

And what Bt Doctur said. The helm may be broken now.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Avoid the temptation to drive the cable from the tube, you will only peen the end making it impossable to remove