3.0 tks seized - ran with no oil

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Take off the manifolds and you can reduce a bunch of weight.

Weight of engine with manifolds is likely around 400#

vak

Seaman Apprentice
Depending on how bad the crank and rods are, you may be better off with a new or remanufactured motor vs sinking money into rebuilding the 4 banger yourself. the parts are more expensive than the 5.7 V8. Machine prices are the same.

depending on your local machine shop, your looking at the following approximate costs:
clean and check block ~ $200
bore and hone block ~ $320
turn and polish crank ~$180
new rods ~$300
new pistons ~$250
new rings ~$90
new bearings ~$60
new cam and lifters ~$300
new oil pump ~$50
timing gear set ~$100
new damper ~$150
gasket set ~$120
core plug set ~$40
engine paint ~$15

companies like Michigan Motorz, etc. have new 3.0 long blocks for $2740 and rebuilt 3.0 for $2000. Even summit racing has the 3.0 marine for $2100

Thank you Scott.

I may end up buying a new block if things are really bad. I feel obligated to assess the damage first. How much longer and more labor intense is it to swap a complete engine v/s a long block?

Also, the long blocks are rated 140hp while mine is 135hp (bought the boat in 2008); it's the same thing right? I figured I need [h=2]First Mate Marine GM181LA . What is the difference between GM181LA and GM181LB or LC?[/h] [h=2][/h]

FreeBeeTony

Captain
No other pics unfortunately............
​Used 4X4 for the legs and double 2x12 for the cross member.
​Should also note I added some 2x4 braces between the legs and cross member for added support.
Easy to build and not too $$$.

fishrdan

Admiral
You can pull it with a couple burly friends, remove the manifold and head, bolt a couple 2x4's across the block deck with the head bolts, and lift away. I did it with 3 neighbors, easy peasy. You're not going to be able to do that going back in as the engine will be completely assembled, you'll need some way lift the engine like Tony's gantry or an engine hoist.

Those machine shop prices are high for my area, so check your local shops, could be the same, or higher, won't know until you check.

What happened when the engine went low on oil, valve racket, rods knocking, engine seized, hole in side of the block? I'd drain the remaining oil to see if it looks like glitter and cut the oil filter apart to see if there is metal flecks in the media. Well, that's if there's oil left....

Reactions: vak

vak

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you everyone. I'll start taking the engine apart during the Christmas break.

vak

Seaman Apprentice
Here's how I removed an engine..........used the same for a SBC also.

Tony,

What kind of winch is it and how much did it cost?

If I take the engine apart, I will probably have enough height in the garage to take it out. I am thinking about screwing a few 2x4 to the ceiling and attaching a winch to it. Once it gets warmer, I'll build a similar structure to put the assembled engine back in.

Would the engine be too much weight for a single 2x10 ceiling joist?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Would the engine be too much weight for a single 2x10 ceiling joist?
Double up your ceiling joists and temporarliy attach 4x4 posts on each side of the doubled joists. I might also reinforce the joists so it can't bend sideways. A picture of your garage would be nice. You must have really tall garage to do this.

Alumarine

Captain
Depending on your trailer type you can lower it quite a bit by removing the wheels and letting it sit on the hubs or axle.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Depending on your trailer type you can lower it quite a bit by removing the wheels and letting it sit on the hubs or axle.

thats how I pulled the 3.0 out of my Avanti with my engine cherry picker... 2x4's under the hubs so that they did not dig into the epoxy on the concrete

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

True. That would help a lot as long as you can pull the boat forward still.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Northern tool as mentioned or harbor freight for the chain hoist.

Have you considered a tow truck to pull it out, some videos on you tube of folks doing it.

vak

Seaman Apprentice
So the GM181 long block is an engine manufactured by GM and was intended for various tasks (not marine specific)?
I would buy the engine before it visits the Mercury factory, where they add all the marine specific attachments, right?
In what other fields is this engine used?
Is there a good chance to buy a good used engine (long block) for less than $2000?

vak

Seaman Apprentice
Have you considered a tow truck to pull it out, some videos on you tube of folks doing it.

I'd rather not remove the boat from the garage. It was not an easy task to put it in. I did some circus tricks there. The garage door opening is only 1 inch wider that the trailer... and I had to turn while backing the trailer up.