3.0 tks seized - ran with no oil

vak

Seaman Apprentice
I blew the motor on 2007 175 sea ray. The oil filter got unscrewed somehow. I ignored the loud beeping noise, ran the boat. Please feel free to call me an idiot.

vak

Seaman Apprentice
My ignorance has no limits, however. Now i want to rebuild it on my own! I have never taken an engine apart, but $5,000 price for a new engine is the motivator.

vak

Seaman Apprentice
I mean, why are those outdated carbureted engines SO expensive?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, vak.

Other than calling you names, can we help you with anything? You feel bad enough already.

First thing is removing the engine and seeing what is bad. The crankshaft will need work, the rods may or may not be bad and all the bearings are gone. The block will need a good cleaning. Who knows what else.

fishrdan

Admiral
Pull the engine and tear it down, then you'll know what you're looking at. Check to see which bearings spun (main, rod, cam), what got scored up (crank, rods, cam) and how much damage was done to the cylinders. The valve guides could have been damaged also, but with a rebuild, I would have the head completely rebuilt anyway.

Before removing any of the main caps or rod caps, mark them with a number punch set so they all go back where they came from, they CAN NOT be mixed up. A complete engine rebuild kit will probably run $800+, and I could see the machine shop bill going that high also, really depends on what needs to be done. Price parts from your machine shop as they might be competitive with online prices, and some of the parts you won't be able to buy in the correct size until machining is done. What size pistons, main bearings, cam bearings, etc...

Have the engine balanced... It will add to the cost to the rebuild, but will make then engine run smoother., less vibration. Look for recommendations on a machine shop, friends, etc.

Reactions: vak

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Depending on how bad the crank and rods are, you may be better off with a new or remanufactured motor vs sinking money into rebuilding the 4 banger yourself. the parts are more expensive than the 5.7 V8. Machine prices are the same.

depending on your local machine shop, your looking at the following approximate costs:
clean and check block ~ $200
bore and hone block ~ $320
turn and polish crank ~$180
new rods ~$300
new pistons ~$250
new rings ~$90
new bearings ~$60
new cam and lifters ~$300
new oil pump ~$50
timing gear set ~$100
new damper ~$150
gasket set ~$120
core plug set ~$40
engine paint ~$15

companies like Michigan Motorz, etc. have new 3.0 long blocks for $2740 and rebuilt 3.0 for $2000. Even summit racing has the 3.0 marine for $2100

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Find a good local machine shop first. Tear it down marking caps piston locations etc as mentioned above

Most likely just turning the crank new rings bearings and gaskets will do.

Would recommend either finding a buddy who has done engine assembly or paying the machine shop to assemble it if you aren't experienced.

Alumarine

Captain
Depending on how bad the crank and rods are, you may be better off with a new or remanufactured motor vs sinking money into rebuilding the 4 banger yourself. the parts are more expensive than the 5.7 V8. Machine prices are the same.

companies like Michigan Motorz, etc. have new 3.0 long blocks for $2740 and rebuilt 3.0 for $2000. Even summit racing has the 3.0 marine for $2100

This might be your best bet.
Less chance of making a mistake as well.

G_Hipster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You will also need quite a few $$ of specialty tools. Torque wrench, measuring tools, ring compressor etc. Bottom ends is a place where I just wouldn't trust a HF torque wrench to get it done. Lots of pitfalls for the newbie if you don't have someone experienced over your shoulder. Cleanliness is next to godliness so you have to have somewhere that, that can happen in.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I take back my $800 estimate for a rebuild kit. http://greenbaypartsworld.net/webstore.cfm?action=product_view&page=G181AM

$559 for the base kit and most likely $650 once you get all the parts specific to your engine.

doesnt include rods or a crank. rods will be toast if the bearing started spinning (most likely). can have the rods resized, however the labor and machine work is more than a set of new rods. Crank will need to be ground and polished at a minimum

prior to ordering anything, need to pull the motor apart, inspect everything and then have the crank and block machined and then go from there.

vak

Seaman Apprentice
It does seem like rebuilding the engine is going to save money v/s taking it a local marina ($2,500 or so v/s $5,200 for a refurbished motor installed.)
I am up for a challenge.
I do have a garage where I can do the work. My father should be coming to visit this summer, he may rescue me if I fail.

How do I get the motor out?
How many hours will it take to tear the motor apart?

Thank you.

And yes, that person who changed the oil last time was me... I should find a way to punish myself. May be doing most of the work on my own will be a good punishment. Given the fact that I couldn't screw the filter on, the punishment seems severe enough.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Pulling the engine is easy - assuming you have access to it. First step is to remove the drive - put shifter into forward and remove the trim rams and six nuts and pull off drive.

Disconnect the fuel and wiring connections, along with any misc cables, etc. There are two bolts at the back of the engine mounts to remove. Then remove the bolts/lag screws holding the front mount to your stringer. (Keep the front mount attached to the engine). You can then use a hoist to remove the engine. (Go slowly as there is usually a wire or something that you missed!)

This engine is about as simple as they get. Most helpful thing to remember is to take good notes as you disassemble and as many pictures from various angles as you can. Buy a box of ziplock baggies and put the nuts and bolts from the various components in the bags with a note identifying where they came from. Not too hard of a job if you do things systematically.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
And yes, that person who changed the oil last time was me... I should find a way to punish myself. May be doing most of the work on my own will be a good punishment. Given the fact that I couldn't screw the filter on, the punishment seems severe enough.
Well...not sure I would trust the person who doesn't know how to screw on an oil filter to rebuild an engine! :) Kidding of course!

If it were me, I would just have someone else rebuild the current engine or just buy a rebuilt or new one to drop in. That engine will be a piece of cake to remove and install. Your course of action is likely dependent on funds available of course so I understand the want to try it yourself.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
It does seem like rebuilding the engine is going to save money v/s taking it a local marina ($2,500 or so v/s $5,200 for a refurbished motor installed.)
I am up for a challenge.
I do have a garage where I can do the work. My father should be coming to visit this summer, he may rescue me if I fail.

How do I get the motor out?
How many hours will it take to tear the motor apart?

Thank you.

Life happens. If you really need to beat yourself up, go get married. She'll do a much better job of it.

Having the tools, and having done it before on a bunch of different engines, took me about 3 hours to pull and complete disassemble a water soaked engine last time. If you have never done it before, double it and have fun. Not hard. Ask questions here.

Good luck,

Rick

vak

Seaman Apprentice
Is there a way to remove the engine without buying a specialized lift? I have the boat in the garage and the ceiling jousts are exposed, I have a 2,000 rated winch (12 volt powered for pulling cars.) Are there any examples of homemade lift people made? How heavy is the engine?

Or, could I take the engine apart while it is still in the boat and once I am ready to get it machined, I can just tow the boat to a shop and they will remove the block?

Thank you.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Machine shops won't remove the motor for you.

Suggest you start reading up on making a gantry.

Your winch is not rated for lifting, only pulling.

The motor fully dressed minus outdrive is about 525#