Best way to start engine after sitting for a while

kaliona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mercruiser I6 165hp motor. What's the best way to start the boat after its been sitting for 3 or more weeks? I know the fuel bowl is probably dry so I usually crank the engine AND keep pumping the throttle and hope it starts before I drain the battery (and hope I don't flood it). And I usually do this in my driveway with the ear muffs on before trailering to the launch ramp to make sure it starts. Squirting a little fuel into the carb seems to help start it quicker. So should I just make it a point to always initially dump a couple ounces of fuel into the carb first and then crank her up?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
after 2 weeks, should just need two pumps and start. may want to look at your carb to see if its leaking

Here is what I would do for a long period

two full pumps, crank for 10 seconds
one more full pump, set throttle to 1/4
then start it

the cranking for 10 seconds is to get fuel from the fuel pump up to the carb

if it takes more cranking than that, I would also look at your anti-siphon valve.

wrench 3

Commander
As Scott said the 165 doesn't usually have that problem. However I'm running a 454 magnum which does.
I gave up on the first two pumps (there's no gas there anyway). I crank for ten seconds and then give two pumps. Starts every time.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Sounds to me like the carb is leaking internally.

Might be, but not necessarily something that needs to be (or can be) repaired. Both of the 4V Webers (with electric fuel pumps) on my V-sixes act exactly the same way after a couple weeks. I have to crank for 5 seconds or so, advance the throttle and crank again. Sometimes it'll start, sometimes it'll just 'kick', at which point I have to give it a pump, advance the throttle and crank it again. Then it starts. The chokes are both working correctly.

My .02