454 intake Manifold

roy c

Seaman Apprentice
Hello has anyone replaced a mercruiser cast iron intake with an aftermarket aluminum unit ?
​I was wondering if everything would line up Thanks roy

harleyman1975

Ensign
It will bolt up and work great...initially. there are several different designs for the Big Block chevy. Port shape is a variant as is single or dual plane. Now if this is going on a marine engine in a salt water environment I suggest a marine specific manifold that is brass/bronze lined in the water jacket. Salt water will eat a non lined unit alive. I would bring old unit to speed shop so they can come as close as possible to matching O.E. unit as possible.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... It's a GM castin' to begin with,....

Only problem might be corrosion to the aluminum,....

Depends on the water ya boat in,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Salt water or fresh water?
Raw water or fresh water cooled?
Oval port, rectangular port or peanut port heads?

roy c

Seaman Apprentice
forgot to mention is going to be fresh water cooled in salt water trailered its a peanut head round port
thanks again

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would replace the peanut port heads as well with the Gen 6 L29 heads and go with an appropriate intake

roy c

Seaman Apprentice
those heads are massive low end torque why do you feel they should be replaced

Scott Danforth

Staff member
to answer your question on post 7...the peanut port heads make ok torque and fall on their face by 4000 RPM and pretty much stop flowing at 4500. as compared the the better port velocity (read this as torque) of the L29 heads and they continue flowing up to 5500 RPM the L29 also have 100 cc combustion chambers and bring the CR up a a bit and the vortec combustion chamber keeps detonation at bay. GM did their homework on the L29 heads.

yes to your question in post 8. however I would have it modified for adjustable valve train if you want. if you keep the cam mild, ARP has adapter studs.

what are your goals?

I ask this because your peanut port motor is hindered by the cam that is in there along with the exhaust, and not the intake

roy c

Seaman Apprentice
I have a gen iv bottom end and already have the heads which will be going in a 250cc
​ i'm going to freshen up what I have. maybe a little tweaking on the heads possible
port polish see what happens

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I have a gen iv bottom end and already have the heads which will be going in a 250cc
​ i'm going to freshen up what I have. maybe a little tweaking on the heads possible
port polish see what happens

But what are your goals?

400hp? 450hp? 5000 RPM? just a refresh and back on the water?

roy c

Seaman Apprentice
yes just a refresh 4500 is plenty for me that use to wot on my small block 250 cuddy
what i'm in barking in is a total refab transom replaced stringers the works
​never endeavored in this before looking forward to it

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you can get 4500 RPM all day long with the stock intake, carb, etc. your limit is still the cam, peanut ports and exhaust