Oil pan gasket

dan6499

Cadet
Yes I have a 4.3 mercurser I was wondering if to replace the oil pan gasket can I just drop the pan or do I have to pull motor out it looks like can just drop pan an replace any advice will be deeply appreciated

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If you can lower it below the crankshaft ,then yes. Also slit the opening for the dipstick tube

dan6499

Cadet
Can you pull the dipstick tube like some motors I've work on I think there is that much room Tks BTDoctur very much

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
most cases you have to remove the exaust manifold first to remove the dipstick

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can do all of the above, spend a few hours cramped in the bilge while you scrape up your knuckles, then get frustrated, pull the drive, then pull the motor to finish the job while swearing

or simply accept the fact your motor needs to come out and make life easier to begin with.

if this is a 1996 or later 4.3, it may be your front cover leaking and not your oil pan gasket.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you can lower it below the crankshaft ,then yes. Also slit the opening for the dipstick tube
Maybe you forgot about the oil pump pick up that sits at the bottom of the pan.

The engine needs to be pulled.

dan6499

Cadet
Scott the front cover you are talking about it that the trimming cover I've never pulled a boat motor an drive I've pulled many truck an car an semi trucks motors an transmission but never a boat if I pull it I mite as well just rebuilt it while it is out that's if it's not the front cover I'd like to personally thank each and everyone of you for the input you have done on this god bless you all

Fun Times

Staff member
What year and engine serial number are you working on?

Roughly how much room do you seem to have between the oil pan to bottom of the bilge floor? Plus room to work in all areas?

If you've pulled engines and transmissions then with a little guidance between iboats, YouTube videos and buying an engine Mercruiser alignment bar from say from EBay on the cheap and the needed Gasket/O-ring kits to reinstall the stern drive....You've got this as long as you can get an engine hoist of some sort over the height of the boats transom to lift the engine up and out.

If you have an Alpha style stern drive than be sure to put the gear selector into forward gear before Removing and Reinstalling the stern drive to avoid damage and make it easier to R & R.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...gines-outdrives/604924-a-couple-of-new-videos
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...s/338200-miscellaneous-mercruiser-information

To make the grease selection as easy as possible for you, Mercruisers extreme grease alternative from iboats found can be found in the following link, http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Ac...ched.1--session_id.401502457&q=extreme grease

MerCrusier Quicksilver High Performance Extreme Grease Lube

Calcium suflonate-based NLGI 2 grease
Excellent rust and corrosion protection
Formulated for high temperature and high load applications
100% compatible with lithium-based greases
Meets GCLB requirements

For use in the following applications:
Steering systems/cable linkage
Throttle and shift cables & linkages
Drive shaft splines
Gimbal bearings
U-joints
Suspension systems
Chassis
Ball joints
Disc brakes and ABS applications
Trailer wheel bearings

Replaces:
MerCruiser Engine Coupler Spline Grease - part #92-802869Q1
MerCruiser U-Joint & Gimbal Bearing Lubricant - part #92-802870Q1 & #92-802871Q1
MerCruiser Anti-Corrosion Grease - part #92-802867Q1
This is a grease gun tube version. Net weight 14 oz. tube
Part Number: 92-8M0071841

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Scott the front cover you are talking about it that the trimming cover I've never pulled a boat motor an drive I've pulled many truck an car an semi trucks motors an transmission but never a boat if I pull it I mite as well just rebuilt it while it is out that's if it's not the front cover I'd like to personally thank each and everyone of you for the input you have done on this god bless you all

pulling a motor from a boat is about 1/4 the work as pulling from a car or truck.

no reason to rebuild your motor unless you overheated it severely or you have over 3000 hours on it.

the plastic timing cover and oil pans used on the 4.3 are common leak issues.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...77-must-have-technical-information-for-diyers

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...s/338200-miscellaneous-mercruiser-information

and here are videos of pulling drive, etc http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...gines-outdrives/604924-a-couple-of-new-videos

achris also has a really good writeup on the 4.3 http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...es-outdrives/561580-an-oil-free-bilge-finally

dan6499

Cadet
I want to thank you so much on your in put on this issue FunTimes the boat is a 1991 Bluewater I'm not to for sure what the serial number is I take all the Information that all of you have given me on this an ive got access to a over head lift to take this motor out my next door neighbor has a farm service shop that I can do all of this work in a heated shop over the winter the hour meter on the boat says it's got 404 hrs on it myself didn't that that was very much but like I said im new to all of this I've had the boat now for about 4 yrs an up til now it has been a awesome boat but working on the motor an out drive is all new to me again you all so very very much on your input

Scott Danforth

Staff member
if its a 1991, you should have a metal pan. most likely rusted thru (and motor will need to come out)

404 hours is barely broke in. you would find near perfect cross-hatch pattern in the bores from the original honing.

Bondo

Staff member
I've never pulled a boat motor an drive I've pulled many truck an car an semi trucks motors an transmission but never a boat

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Changin' the pan gasket, in the boat, is a fool's errand,...

Yer a Mechanic, 'n boats are Easy,....
Pull the drive, then pull the motor up, 'n out,...
Most of the wirin' is 1 plug, unlike the other things you've worked on,...
In my shop, I can go from motor in the boat, to motor on the stand in 1/2 hour, an hour tops,... By myself,....

Btw,..... My '93ish 4.3l has 'bout 2,000 hours on the clock, 'n is showin' no signs of needin' any rebuildin',....

dan6499

Cadet
I'd would like to thank each an every one of you all on this issue I will take all of the advice an apply this on the issue in hand again thank you an god bless you all

dan6499

Cadet
I'd like to thank each an every one of you all for your help on this issue