Wiring question at the motor -- 94' Merc 4.3 - disconnected wires

Spiderhole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good deal, I am going to be out of town for a little while (Asia) but will be back in early January. That's when I'm planning to complete everything. I have to order all the parts and special tools. Thank you all so much for your help.

- Chris

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Good deal, I am going to be out of town for a little while (Asia) but will be back in early January. That's when I'm planning to complete everything. I have to order all the parts and special tools. Thank you all so much for your help.

- Chris

You better drain that boat before leaving

Spiderhole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes sir, I actually started doing that yesterday, I am going to finish it up today. I have been reviewing the video you sent me. I need to cover it up also.

Spiderhole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Good afternoon! Hope you all had a great New Years. I am back in the States from my trip over to SE Asia. Glad I drained and winterized as it got COLD while I was gone. I ordered the parts and tools to to the upper seals and just started last night. I need to drain the gear oil out before I take the next steps, but I am hoping I can get everything done this weekend. Here's where I'm at:

fetch

fetch

Attachments

• photo257436.jpg
    photo257436.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo257437.jpg
    photo257437.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 0

Spiderhole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

fetch
fetch
fetch

So, I started pulling the top of the drive apart, and I instantly found some interesting things and I'd appreciate your thoughts... The housing clearly got a bit chewed up, I believe by the gears. As bad as it looks, where it seals looks like it would still seal. I don't know, but it could be possible that there is a small leak right here which is why the oil was sitting in the bellows. There was no metal sitting in there, and I can't see anywhere where a tooth would have broken off or any other areas where metal may have come off. I am not sure what caused this.

Also, the yoke appears to be missing the top o-ring seal. This seal did not come in the kit to replace the upper seals in the driveshaft.

What are your thoughts? It almost makes me wonder if the driveshaft seals are even bad?

Attachments

• photo257681.jpg
    photo257681.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 0
  • photo257682.jpg
    photo257682.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo257683.jpg
    photo257683.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo257684.jpg
    photo257684.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Looks like it's had a gear break a tooth in the past. I've seen boxes much rougher than that, just a new set of gears and bearings and a seal kit and you'd never have known the difference. As long as the seal surfaces are untouched, just clean up any daggy bits and reseal it. I assume your gears are ok and that's previous history, difficult to see the gear teeth form the photos posted.

Chris.......

Spiderhole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here some more pics. I think you're right because I don't see any teeth or busted metal on any of the gears, bearings, etc. It's kind of hard to tell from the pics and I know it looks nasty, but I'm pretty sure the seal surface on the housing is still OK enough. I am going to maybe clean it up a little, reseal everything, and see what happens. I have three questions:

1.) What do I need to use for the rear bearing seal in the aluminum carrier it goes in? Blue Locctight, or something else?

2.) What kind of sealant should I use for the gasket that goes between the drive and where it mounts on the boat?

3.) Is there something I need to do when I reinstall the driveshaft so that the timing is correct?

Spiderhole

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Whoops, and here's the pics...

Attachments

• photo257722.jpg
    photo257722.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo257723.jpg
    photo257723.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo257724.jpg
    photo257724.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo257725.jpg
    photo257725.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo257726.jpg
    photo257726.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo257727.jpg
    photo257727.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 1

achris

More fish than mountain goat
1.) What do I need to use for the rear bearing seal in the aluminum carrier it goes in? Blue Locctight, or something else?

2.) What kind of sealant should I use for the gasket that goes between the drive and where it mounts on the boat?

3.) Is there something I need to do when I reinstall the driveshaft so that the timing is correct?

1) The seal comes with a sealant on the outer ring. Just press it into the carrier and that's all that's needed (unless you bought aftermarket. :facepalm: in which case, loctite 515 or 518).

2) Nothing. That bell housing gasket goes on dry. And don't forget the water passage 'O' ring. ;) I use a dab of grease to hold it in place while I slide the drive on.

3) If the gear set is 24:24, then on earlier sets there were timing marks. All other sets, including your 17:19 set, are non-hunting, no timing required. All spelled out in the manual... You have a (proper factory) manual, yes?

Chris....

Last edited: