Lost control of steering

Naplesboat

Recruit
Hi guys, does anyone know what this part is called?

We lost complete control of steering a few days ago and had to be towed, the whole part just broke in half due to corrosion. I found this picture online but I can't figure out what the part is called. It's a sea ray sundeck spx 21 with a MerCruiser 5.0L MPI Bravo III MCM, I think it's 220 HP.

That piece is connected to a wire that looks like a ground wire.

Does anyone know how complicated it is to replace that part and is a complete engine removal necessary? It's also an in boarder.

Thanks in advance! boat part.PNG

NHGuy

Captain
That's your tiller arm. I believe it's part of the gimbal ring. To replace it the drive and bellhousing come off.

Fun Times

Staff member
The name of that part would also be called a steering lever assembly which is item number 14, http://www.iboats.com/Gimbal-Ring-An...iew_id.1693870
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/s.../30968/5398/70
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...embly&_sacat=0

With the engine still installed (and sometimes depending on the boats transom cutout of the "wood" from new and/or inner transom assembly plate still installed) it's pretty difficult just to gain access to the steering lever assemblies cross through bolt and nut (#'s 17 -19) from inside the boat had you just needed to tighten the bolt down a bit more as they do tend to come loose over time due to ware and tare.

But since you have to remove the top steering shaft nut and washer (#'s 15 and 16) to completely remove the steering lever, you'll have to decide which direction is best for you to go as there are a few other options should you not want to remove the engine and inner transom plate.

To leave the engine still in place and not remove the inner transom plate then the two other methods at getting to the cross bolt and top shaft nut from the outside is (1) Merc has a kit that you drill two holes into each side of the upper gimbal housing assembly Or (2) you cut out the back plate where the mercruiser sticker is like seen in the how to videos linked below. The first link describes how to use the Mercruiser kit by drilling the two holes on each side.
http://mercstuff.com/gimbalringinst.htm
http://jrmarine.com/videos.htm

While reading and watching these informational reviews, bear in mind that if the steering shaft and gimbal ring are still in good condition and you weren't leaking water into the boat at the steering shaft area then you may not have to fully remove all the parts noted....Though these parts do have a tendency to ware out often so inspect/test them closely.

To help find your correct parts catalogs, post you Engine and Transom assembly serial numbers.
Once you/we know the year/serial number then OEM service manuals can be found online too.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
We lost complete control of steering a few days ago and had to be towed, the whole part just broke in half due to corrosion.

Ayuh,.... If the tiller arm broke off from corrosion, I'm guessin' there's gonna be Alot more rotten corroded parts found durin' the tear down,....

I'd pull the drive, motor, then attack the transom assembly,....

Naplesboat

Recruit
WOW!!!! You guys are awesome!!!! Thank you so much for all the great information!!

I have another question, we took the boat in 2 months ago and had a sea ray service facility check the entire boat. Would that be something they should have seen for sure or could that slipped through? Another problem we had was that the steering had plenty of play.

I'm just curious because we paid over 7k to make sure the boat is running properly and now that part broke.

I attached the report for you guys to see what they did.

Thank you again!

View attachment boat_check.pdf

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Some of those prices are really out of line like for the exhaust system (about 2x what it should be), $80 for a dist cap? I do see an inspection for a complaint of loose steering though...but no repair if it....
Next time get an estimate in advance look it over and ask questions....

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I would not expect any inspection to be able to see or predict a possible future shearing of that part. A light coating of rust covers the outside and either the part had started to fatigue and maybe even was crystalizing or a sudden impact caused the break. No inspection would look for an event that is so rare.

Naplesboat

Recruit
Thank you guys! I wasn't sure if that is something they should have seen when they did the entire check. Here is a picture of how the part actually looked like.
imagejpeg.jpg

They also sent us a estimate for the repair. Can you guys tell me if that is legit. I get the point that a part broke in half and possible other parts are corroded too, but they suggest to replace the entire transom assembly first and than .......

Here is the report and notes:

Attached is the revised estimate for what they found wrong with the engine on your vessel. If you would like to proceed please print, sign and return to me and we will get parts ordered and repair finished. Once they get the transom assembly replaced they will be able to diagnose the actuator, if more repairs needed we will let you know what is needed.

Report.pdf

Btw, I'm not a boat expert, but is the reason why that happened because the pre-owner might have never flushed the engine after usage?

Thanks again!

If anyone knows a good and passionate mechanic with shop and trailer near Naples Florida please let us know!

Attachments

• Report.pdf
    167.5 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Btw, I'm not a boat expert, but is the reason why that happened because the pre-owner might have never flushed the engine after usage?

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... From what I see, the previous owner put gas in it, 'n ran the boat,......

Little or Nothin' else,....

I don't doubt that changin' the whole transom assembly will probably be cheaper than tryin' to fix what's there,....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The labor seems a bit on the high side.2 -3 hours to prep and pull the motor, maybe 2 -3 hours to remove and install the new housing, then 2-3 hrs to drop the engine back in and align it and install the drive.
And this assumes nothing else will be found or go wrong