No spark for 3.0l mercruiser I/O

Boat...1989 Glastron with 3.0l engine. Can't get spark. Was running great then next outing, nothing. Engine turns over, but no spark. Have replaced points (correct gap) condenser, coil and checked what I could. Where should I look next? I'm thinking solenoid. Would like to get it running myself before going to "Big Bob's ripoff marine repair" .
Thanks, Phil

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Grab a voltmeter and check for voltage on the coil + with the key on. Remove the tan tachometer wire from the coil - and give it a try. Check and make sure you have a good ground on the distributor.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
connections corroded? loose connection ( nuts) on coil?... zero spark= break in circuit

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
did you file the points. points need filing even if new to remove the layer of oxidation. pull the nail file out of your wifes purse, run it thru twice and you should have spark.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
did you file the points. points need filing even if new to remove the layer of oxidation. pull the nail file out of your wifes purse, run it thru twice and you should have spark.

I use to have points... no ? corrosion on points kill the circuit..... glad I put Pertronix EI in her this spring, no more screwing around with points..

Thanks everyone for your help. It turned out to be a loose connection (stripped screw) that held the condenser in place in the distributor . Boat is running great now.
Should have checked that a bit more carefully. Live and learn........