Mercruiser 3.0 Fuel Water Separator Mounting Location

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Hello boaters! I've been trolling through images and posts trying to find a good mounting location to install a fuel water separator in my boat. I have seen several, the one I come across most is Rocky_Road's location. There isn't much room next to the engine in mine, nor the raised piece to attach mine like his is. I'd like to see some pics (If you guys don't mind) of how you have yours attached. I will try to post a pic of my engine compartment and perhaps someone may have an idea. I have thought about making a custom bracket and pulling the two starboard side motor mount bolts and attaching it there, but I'm not sure I want to do that.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How about further back on the transom? What does it look like back there?

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Its pretty crowded back there. Port side has two batteries mounted and a blower motor. Starboard side has blower motor and trim pump mounted against the wall. Not much wiggle room left. Boat is a 1991 Invader V165

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
see where ya fuel lines run to the left of bay? that's where I put mine in the left corner there

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
there should be 3 threaded holes in the block just aft of the fuel pump. a angled section of plate is all you need and use only 2 of the holes. Cant find a good pic but its where the auto motor mounts would bolt up to.

Last edited:

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
see where ya fuel lines run to the left of bay? that's where I put mine in the left corner there

Just tried to stick the filter in that corner, and it will not fit. It will push down (filter only) if I squish all the lines out of the way, but no way I could get the bracket in there. The short filter and bracket stick a couple of inches up above the floor of the boat.

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
there should be 3 threaded holes in the block just aft of the fuel pump. a angled section of plate is all you need and use only 2 of the holes. Cant find a good pic but its where the auto motor mounts would bolt up to.

Are you talking about the ones to the bottom left of the oil filter?

image5.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Dont have the boat anymore but I used 2 threaded holes and a piece of flat SS 1/8 plate I think the standoffs were about an inch long
Did not interfere with the oil filter or the mech fuel pump

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
I'll have to climb under there and see if the holes are there and do some measuring.. If that is the case where I can use those holes, I'll fashion a bracket and post some pics. Perhaps they'll help others install one as well.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Did somebody delete my pic of the orange engine?????????????????????????????????????????
chev62.jpg

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

I see the location on the inline 6, those holes on the 4 as well?

Attachments

• photo254355.jpg
    photo254355.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 4

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Get creative and think outside the box.I know the gm iron duke motor was used in the `62 chevy II and they needed motor mounts. look into using those holes and using the 2 front motor mounting holes at the front mount. add a small piece of angle ,etc.

Last edited:

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
I really really did consider using the 2 bolts on the front mount.. But I'd have to be careful not to get the engine out of alignment. I guess I could put a jack under there to hold it up while I removed the bolts.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
You shouldnt affect it, you remove the 2 bolts and spacer to replace the fan belt. just make sure those bolts are tight. supporting it is not a bad idea, just dont out too much pressure on the pan.