Quicky winterizing after each fishing trip to run late into season

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
4.3L EFI (GEN+) TBI GM 262 V-6 - 0L619000 THRU 0M322780

I have a 2001 stingray 20 foot center console I would like to keep very late into season by pulling the blue water plugs of the exhaust manifolds after each fishing trip up until ice over. I have a half closed cooling system with what looks to me like the only part of the system that is raw water is the exhaust manifolds. Alpha 1 drive so the impeller should self drain like an outboard right?

​My concern is what appears to be a fuel cooling system that is raw water cooled and is deep and low inside the engine compartment on the port side. I cant get enough leverage on it so far to remove the hose going to it in order to drain the water out of the cooler. I guess I would like to confirm that this hose indeed needs to be removed each time before I go further.

​Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
dont forget the HX contains raw water too
The cool fuel hose is well below the level of the inlet hose at the transom, tough to get water to go up hill

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You will have to drain the heat exchanger, raw water intake hoses, and manifolds. The only thing that will self drain is the outdrive itself if you leave it down. Keep in mind what cools the A/F in the heat exchanger is raw water from the impeller!

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
You will have to drain the heat exchanger, raw water intake hoses, and manifolds. The only thing that will self drain is the outdrive itself if you leave it down. Keep in mind what cools the A/F in the heat exchanger is raw water from the impeller!

​Looks to me like the SB side manifold drain plug is lower than the heat exchanger and it will drain the exchanger when I pull the blue plug on the SB side manifold, no?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
no, dosent work like that, water is pumped thru the hx and the outlet goes to the manifolds thru a T . you still need to drain the raw water side of the hx.

alldodge

Staff member
Ya know the OP could be right. According to his serial number and year it should be like this and doesn't have a Tee

43 closed.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I`d have to see a pic of the engine . safest way is to remove the plugs on everything including the cool fuel

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not necessarily, it may drain all out, but in some cases some water stays between the impeller and the power steering cooler.

You should also have a blue plug (item 12) on the cool fuel module on the port side which drains that side.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/s.../31497/5388/60

​This was great info....It really got my hopes up until I tried to pull the blue plug out, there is no way for me to get to it. I can see it but I would have to take off the exhaust manifold to have a shot at it. Best thing I could think of was to disconnect the hose that goes from that fuel cooler up to the power steering cooler, at the PS cooler and insert my oil extraction pump hose down about 2 feet and sucked up about a quart of water. Does anyone think that will do, or should I dump some RV anti freeze in there?

alldodge

Staff member
I'm not seeing what your seeing, but if your removing item number 26 in post 7 and sucking out the water out, your not getting all of it. There "may" not be enough left to break anything but your rolling the dice. Adding RV antifreeze would be a good thing, but still depends on how much water is left and mixed with the antifreeze.

As Bondo says "air doesn't freeze" and adding RV stuff is nice but not necessary IF the water is gone. Is there any way you can remove item 25 in post 7 from the HE and lay it in the bilge way low until it empty's? If this hose can be placed lower then the cool fuel module it would drain all the water from the HE, cool fuel and PS cooler on the port side..

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
I disconnected item 26 page 7 at the power steering cooler and gained access that way. Will try to get picks tomorrow. Thanks.