repainting outdrive

boatman37

Lieutenant
planning to repaint my outdrive this winter as the paint is peeling. there is a yellow finish under the black paint. not sure if this is original, or primer, or what? it looks in pretty good shape so will try to save it but just curious as to what it might be? i can post a pic tomorrow if needed

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
If it is yellow (ish) it may be zinc chromate which is a primer for aluminum. If the paint is flaking off the prime may have been contaminated or the wrong paint was used.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
It is Primer,dont remove it if it is in good condition.If paint is flaking try to pressure wash off all the loose flakes to see what you are dealing with .Charlie

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It sounds like a Zinc Chromate type primer. But without pictures that is only a guess. However, if it is the Zinc Chromate primer or some semblance thereof. I would be questioning why the paint is flaking off from the primer. That primer could have been compromised and therefore it too is suspect. I would strip off the paint and see. Either way, you need to thoroughly clean the grease, oils, dirt off before prepping for paint again. That prep includes sanding, fairing, and cleaning. And any bare metal needs either Zinc Chromate priming or an self etching primer applied. Then you go for the paint. But not just any paint. You will need a catalyed paint for it to shine and be hard enough to stay on the outdrive. JMHO

boatman37

Lieutenant
the yellow almost makes the outdrive look plastic...lol. so far it looks to be in good shape. just the black is flaking off. it looks like it has been repainted a few times so could have been cheap paint. it was covered pretty good but last year i pressure washed it and the black started peeling off. i will get pics here today and post them up

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
What you can do is wash the housing with White vinegar to etch it, then zinc chromate primer, then finish black epoxy appliance paint

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say that it looks like the PO used some type paint that certainly was not compatible with the primer and oils, fuels, and grease. Because it almost looks like how paint stripper works. I say you are going to have to remove all of it and start over from scratch. I realize that will take a lot of time and effort, but it is so far gone that there is no making it work any other way. I would remove all the black flaky paint and then address the "yellow" whatever it is, base coat. It still could be a Zinc Chromate type primer even being that yellow. Zinc Chromate came in a lot of greenish/yellow and other shades in between. I really depended on the manufacturer of the primer. If the yellow looks pretty good and is staying on the metal without flaking, then I would use that as your base after scuffing it up well. But I would also shoot another primer on before the paint. Because if you use a quality primer of the same manufacture of the paint, then they will be totally compatible and not flake off. JMHO

You can look at my engine painting procedures by clicking on the link below. I used Zinc Chromate primer and then a base primer before the base coat color followed by clear coats.

boatman37

Lieutenant
well i have to fess up. some of that black may be from me. this spring i grabbed a can of black paint and sprayed over the yellow to get it covered with the intentions of re-doing it over this winter. it wasn't that bad before. the 'stripper' effect you mention was most likely the paint i sprayed on.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
At some point that drive was reprimed and painted.As stated,the zinc primer used is green.That being said if the primer is in good condition,just get rid of the black paint and do a fine wet sand to the primer to prep the surface and use an enamel paint .The factory lacquer will usually alligator on application and ultimately fail.Enamel will do a better job and last.If you are using a non-marine paint ,i wouldnt recommend Rustoleum.I have not had much luck with it lasting.Krylon seemd to be more of a forever coating.I even remember reading on this forum where someone used black house paint and had a few others ditto that.Not Me.Charlie