merc 3.0 sputter

tbone999

Seaman
looking for help again gents, after the rebuild of floors and stringers and remove of leg and motor of what i know to be a sound drive train i continue to have problems, took it out the other day and got on plain did 20mph for 15/20mins and around 3300 rphm then heard a crackling sound of sorts and she died, started the kicker up but due to the current lowrance had me at .4 mph [no chance id get back at this rate] i tried the 3.0 again fired right up. Put her in gear starts doing 2.6 mph increased the throttle sputters almost died again and again ,pull back to just in gear maybe 1100rpm and again 2.6 mph so i slowly returned to my truck..... any ideas

thanks more then frustrated love this thing and have injected tons of money getting it safe and......

fishrdan

Admiral
Fuel filter(s), fuel pressure, fuel hose clamps tight and hose in good condition, fuel pump sight tube clear (no fuel in it), fuel line tight at pump and carb

Carb needing rebuild?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
X2 on fuel supply issues. Sounds identical to problem I had years back, crud in tank blocking pick up. Required cleaingbfuel tank replacing lines and filter, rebuild carb= boat never ran so well .

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Make sure clear fuel line(The clear line going from the pump up to the carb) doesn't have fuel in it. (If it does, fuel pump going out). Check filter in fuel pump, and filter where fuel line screws into carb. -- easiest to check first.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
sounds like accelerator pump might be dumping too much fuel as well or not enough in your case not enough might be the problem might have gelled ethanol in the carb.

tbone999

Seaman
thanks guys i was looking at it yesterday for an hour or so and it starts super easy and runs fine on the trailer revs up in and out of gear with out a single sputter so now i'm really confused, could it have just been a air pocket in the line and if so could it have rectified it self some how?

Bondo

Staff member
could it have just been a air pocket in the line and if so could it have rectified it self some how?

Ayuh,.... I'd sooner think ya still got a fuel delivery issue, as soon as ya splash it,....

In neutral, or on the wagon, there's no load,.....
No load,... No fuel burn,...

Did ya check the filters, or anything,..??