Thru Hull Transducer installation

alexvelarde

Seaman
What do I connect the transducer to? The Smartcraft instrument gauge or somewhere in the engine block?
It looks like this one but the part number is 8M6001209

2013 Chaparral SSI 206
260 HP Mercruiser 5.0L MPI
Engine Serial Number: 2A047298

Attachments

• photo254260.JPG
    photo254260.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254261.JPG
    photo254261.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

alldodge

Staff member
A transducer is used for a given piece of electronics, in most cases something like a depth sounder. The transducer is plugged into the actual unit, not smartcraft. What kind of unit are you installing?

I'm guessing this should be in the electronics area

alexvelarde

Seaman
No Title

Thank you! It is a depth finder. The part number used to be SmartCraft 8M6001209... Mercruiser changed it to 79-8M0075629.

Attachments

• photo254282.JPG
    photo254282.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Haven't given up on you yet, been doing lots or reading. Smartcraft has junction boxes which are used to connect system monitor, speed and tach gauges to the CAN bus. The junction boxes are made in 4, 6 and 8 places.

The system link cable is used to daisy chain fuel, temp, trim and the like gauges. If you have a system monitor there should also be a system link cable end coming to/from it.

Smartcraft sys link.jpg

If it is a NEMA 2000 depth gauge then you will need a bridge. My thought is this is part of your system monitor

alexvelarde

Seaman
So I found out the smartcraft thru-hull transducer is $275. Is there a way to troubleshoot the transducer? I want to make sure that mine is not working before I spend that much money on a new. Is there something else I need to be checking?

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
It plugs into the DLC "data link connector" (where the scan tool plugs into)
About the only troubleshooting you can do is swapping from transducer to transducer or from boat to boat.

alldodge

Staff member
If its not installed hang it over the side in the water and it should work. You should also need to tell the system monitor its there

alexvelarde

Seaman
I called Mercury Mercruiser and they said the part number is this now 79-8M0075629
Is there a place I can buy this part from with a lenient return policy?
I don't mind paying a small restocking fee, but don't want to pay full price and then find out it is not this part and not be able to return it.

alexvelarde

Seaman
Do I have to buy the OEM transducer or could I get a cheaper one from West Marine or somewhere else? Do you know which one would match this OEM (79-8M0075629)?

alldodge

Staff member
Unable to say with 100 percent certainty, but Merc makes things with a proprietary interface to make increase profits. So unless the thru hull found at another seller states that it will work with Smartcraft, my guess is it will not.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
In order to work on the Smartcraft system there is a bunch of circuitry between the actaul transducer element and the plug. A standard depth sounder transducer will not work (and neither will plugging this unit into a standard sounder). I also tend to agree with AD, discrete components. I don't even have an integrated GPS/sounder (as a lot of people do). I have a FCV600L sounder and right beside it a GP-1870 GPS.

If the only thing you're using the transducer for is a digital depth readout, then may I suggest a discrete depth indicator would be cheaper than a new Smartcraft transducer.... Something like THIS.

When you plug the transducer into the harness, does Smartcraft detect the presence of the transducer? (it should, even if the element isn't working).

What do I connect the transducer to? The Smartcraft instrument gauge or somewhere in the engine block?

It plugs into the 4 pin DLC (Data Link Connector) in the engine harness.

Chris......

Last edited:

alexvelarde

Seaman
You should go to the smartcraft menu and scroll thru the menu to find depth sounder, in there it should be seen

I believe it does show the depth sounder with a 0' depth, but I can't remember 100%. I will have to check again. Thank you!

alldodge

Staff member
Note, a depth sounder will not register depth thru air, it has to be thru water. To test, hang the sender over the side

alexvelarde

Seaman
Note, a depth sounder will not register depth thru air, it has to be thru water. To test, hang the sender over the side

Yes sir! I know that the depth sounder will not register thru air. Thank you! Can I put the depth sounder in a bucket full of water to test it so I don't have to put the boat in the water? Or is there any other way you know of?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Unless the bucket is quite deep you are still going to read 0. Depending on the power output you may be able to hear a 'click' from the transducer as it fires. That would at least tell you if the transmit side is working. Other than that, a trip to the water is required.

alexvelarde

Seaman
Well I put the boat on the water, checked the transducer connections to make sure nothing was loosed, and even learned how to use the smartcraft gauge, but it showed "0" for depth and "0" for water temperature. I think I'm out of options. I guess I'm going to buy the transducer and hope for the best. Any thoughts?

alldodge

Staff member
If the menu was setup to use the transducer and since nothing showed, it appears its not communicating. Sorry I'm not more up on the possible issues

Wish I would have thought of this sooner, but since your transducer also reads temp you didn't need to put it in the water to find out if it was working. It would have shown nothing for depth but temp should have shown up.