Lower shift cable stuck in bellhouse (Bravo3)

Mini hog

Cadet
I?m about to replace the swivel pin on my Bravo 3. I have removed the upper drive from the bellhousing. I have removed the nut which holds the shift cable in the bellhousing. But it?s impossible to remove the shift cable. It?s completely stuck. When I removed the upper housing I noticed that I had some water intrusion into the shift cable. So its corroded and that is probably the reason I can?t remove it from the bellhouse. Any ideas on how I could get the shift cable to come lose? The cable will be replaced so I don?t care about damaging it. But I?m afraid I will damage the bellhouse if I just use brute force. Or is there anything else holding the cables besides the brass nut I already removed?

Attachments

• photo253935.jpg
    photo253935.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
You should have a nut on the other side of the cable. If memory serves it should take a 5/8 open end to hold the back side of the cable.

Mini hog

Cadet
You should have a nut on the other side of the cable. If memory serves it should take a 5/8 open end to hold the back side of the cable.

Yes, there is nut on the other side of the bellhouse and you are right regarding the size. But isn't that nut there just so you can keep the cable from rotating when the nut you see in my picture is removed? I already removed the nut you see in the picture. But it's impossible to push the cable out of the bellhouse.
Or are there threads in the bellhouse and I should use the 5/8 nut to unscrew the cable from the house?

alldodge

Staff member
already removed the nut you see in the picture. But it's impossible to push the cable out of the bellhouse.

Ok, yes the cable should push out. Maybe grab the cable and see if it can be rotated any. PB Blaster would be something to try. Have not had one stuck like that, but thinking remove the center core, then find a screw that will screw in tightly. Use the screw end to hit with a hammer, maybe a wood screw,

scoflaw

Ensign
Remove inner core, put the nut you took off back on. Thread the nut on half a dozen turns, smack that with a hammer and drift

Pete104

Lieutenant
Remove inner core, put the nut you took off back on. Thread the nut on half a dozen turns, smack that with a hammer and drift

Never had that either. But try the drift & hammer trick. If that don't do it, cut the cable & get it out in the open so you can see whats going on.

Mini hog

Cadet
Ok, yes the cable should push out. Maybe grab the cable and see if it can be rotated any. PB Blaster would be something to try. Have not had one stuck like that, but thinking remove the center core, then find a screw that will screw in tightly. Use the screw end to hit with a hammer, maybe a wood screw,

Will give it a try tomorrow!