Winterizing a Non Running Engine

johnrmclean

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well its that time but as of now I have not got my 454/bravo 1 running. I've always winterized a running motor. What is the best way to winterize a non runner?

thumpar

Admiral
If it has water in it drain it as normal. You can put the fogging oil straight into the cylinders by removing the plugs.

tpenfield

Staff member
1) Pull the hoses off of the sea water pump, let them drain.

2) Open the drain plugs on both sides of the engine block - they are just above the oil pan. You may have to poke them with a wire or small screw driver to get them to drain.

3) Remove lower hose off the recirculating pump.

4) Remove lower hose off both exhaust manifolds.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
running or not.

draining and changing fluids = winterizing

superbenk

Commander
Agree with the above. Nothing special, just get the water out completely & change fluids.

thumpar

Admiral
You can change the lube if it needs it. Just make sure you leave it down.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Fogging is more or less optional. I don't think I have ever fogged a 4 stroke engine for winter storage, and rarely fog 2 strokes. That would be the only step that would require a running engine, the rest is just draining &/or refilling.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Winterizing a running engine thru the outdrive is a crapshoot anyway so draining aal the water out is always a much safer bet. Some of us chose to fill the block with antifreeze to help control rust, but that is an option depending on personal thoughts, has nothing to do with actually keeping an engine from freezing over the winter as air don't freeze.