No sea strainers on my boat ?

Gcolella

Recruit
I have a 2005 Doral intrigue with twin merc 350 mpi horizons closed cooling system . I was looking for the sea strainers and could not find one for the mercs. The ac unit and generator both have their own. Is it possible there is no sea strainer for these engines . I followed the line coming in from the hull valve runs from the shut off valve under the engine to a y and goes right into to the water pump . Any idea ?

jbcurt00

Staff member
I closed the other topic you started over in the Doral forum.

If you decide a topic you started is in the wrong forum, just ask a Mod to move it for you, no need to duplicate a topic. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 2005 Doral intrigue with twin merc 350 mpi horizons closed cooling system . I was looking for the sea strainers and could not find one for the mercs. The ac unit and generator both have their own. Is it possible there is no sea strainer for these engines . I followed the line coming in from the hull valve runs from the shut off valve under the engine to a y and goes right into to the water pump . Any idea ?

Howdy
Your boat does not have strainers, they could be installed if desired.

Are you having issues?

Gcolella

Recruit
Howdy
Your boat does not have strainers, they could be installed if desired.

Are you having issues?

I was until I figured it was the water pressure sensor that went bad and was causing the motor to go in guardian mode.
I was just curious if it was possible that the boat didn't have sea strainers . Didn't know if it was a common thing . I'm probably going to install them now .
Thanks for the info

alldodge

Staff member
Strainers are a good thing for boats around sand and mud areas where it can be sucked up and damage the impellers with bravo drives. If you have Alpha drives, strainers will do you no good, unless you have belt driven sea water pumps as bravo drives.

The water pressure sensor goes out quite often and is to most failed part in the Merc system.

tpenfield

Staff member
Not standard issue with the Merc's . . . not sure about the Volvo's

Plenty of after market strainers, and I highly recommend them, particularly with closed cooling.

I got these for my twin 7.4 MPI's
IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
until you get into bigger boats with diesels, there are no sea strainers as standard from a 3.0 to a 8.2 and everything in between

there is a strainer grate on the water pickup and if your running an outdrive, the water inlet acts as a strainer. Neither are vary effective

the next strainer in the system is the power steering cooler which usually does a bang-up job collecting twigs, small fish, rocks, etc

with the heat exchangers, they make an effective strainer as well, usually catching the debris that didnt get caught in the power steering cooer. there is a reason the end caps on heat exchangers are removable