winterize - thrermostat - antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

thumpar

Admiral
I stopped using fuel stabilizer and fog. For me it is drain it and drive around the block (about 3/4 mile) to shake any water out and tuck it away. In the spring I put the plugs back and and connect the hoses. The impeller will fill the block.

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks all , this got a little off track. I was only worried about starting the boat dry(as I did last year) but I had muffs on so no worries.
Last year I drained the block/man - then muffed AF into it until it spit out - worked well, no issues
this year I drained the block/man, and no AF - hope it goes well

airshot

Rear Admiral
NEVER EVER USE AUTO ANTIFREEZE TO WINTERIZE YOUR BLOCK!!!!

Curious to your reasoning here...only thing I can think of is the environmental issues. I have used auto antifreeze as a piece of mind in my boat engine for years but DO always flush it thoroughly before heading to the lake. I have a hugh stone driveway and always test run the motor before heading to the ramp for the first outing. The previous owner told me he used antifreeze over the winter after draining the block so I continued the tradition and I must say for an original 1983 engine there is not much rust inside when compared to other engines I have helped guys work on. For the few bucks in cost I guess it is just some piece of mind as long as it is drained out and flushed before going to the lake!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Because EG antifreeze is poisonous and should be disposed of properly

superbenk

Commander
Curious to your reasoning here...only thing I can think of is the environmental issues. I have used auto antifreeze as a piece of mind in my boat engine for years but DO always flush it thoroughly before heading to the lake. I have a hugh stone driveway and always test run the motor before heading to the ramp for the first outing. The previous owner told me he used antifreeze over the winter after draining the block so I continued the tradition and I must say for an original 1983 engine there is not much rust inside when compared to other engines I have helped guys work on. For the few bucks in cost I guess it is just some piece of mind as long as it is drained out and flushed before going to the lake!!

Are you saying you're flushing it out of the engine & onto the ground in your stone driveway? That's terrible environmentally! You need to capture it & dispose of it properly by taking it to an appropriate recycling/disposal center.

cwburkeva

Seaman Apprentice
Ethylene Glycol (aka automotive anti-freeze) is poisonous to humans, and other animals. 1.4mL is considered toxic to humans and even less for small animals. Plus in most locations it is against the law to knowingly discharge into the environment. I would be extremely concerned if I was on well water and a neighbor or even myself.

thumpar

Admiral
Ethylene Glycol (aka automotive anti-freeze) is poisonous to humans, and other animals. 1.4mL is considered toxic to humans and even less for small animals. Plus in most locations it is against the law to knowingly discharge into the environment. I would be extremely concerned if I was on well water and a neighbor or even myself.
It is a sweet smelling liquid so animals are attracted to it. It would take a lot of water to flush it out and catch it all. The idle relief ports blow it all over the place. You would need a 100 gallons probably to make sure it is all out and then try to figure out what to do with all that liquid.

cwburkeva

Seaman Apprentice
It just unthinkable to dump it on driveway intentionally. Accidentally - that's different, but the post above clearly is doing it without regard to the environment.

thumpar

Admiral
It just unthinkable to dump it on driveway intentionally. Accidentally - that's different, but the post above clearly is doing it without regard to the environment.
I hope you didn't think my post was disagreeing with you. It was just meant to add to why you shouldn't use auto antifreeze in a boat on the raw side.

cwburkeva

Seaman Apprentice
@thumpar: I didn't take it that way; just re-emphasis on the environmental aspect to what you said.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
Ethylene glycol is toxic but will break down when exposed to air in 10 days and will break down in several weeks when introduced to the ground or water. Airports still use it in deicing fluids on planes and runways, but propylene glycol is used most of the time.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Ethylene glycol is toxic but will break down when exposed to air in 10 days and will break down in several weeks when introduced to the ground or water. Airports still use it in deicing fluids on planes and runways, but propylene glycol is used most of the time.

Also, it is 100% legal to dump it down the drain in most areas. It breaks down fairly easily.

Tacopete

Cadet
When you say to pull hoses from t stat, do you mean the big tube going to water pump, water intake hose, and hose going to block/manifolds. Are you ever concerned about water in water pump? This is my first time doing this. I will drain and flush with antifreeze, but maybe not store with antifreeze. Wondering if I should pour into all three tubes coming off thermostat. Mercruiser 4 cylinder.

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If simply putting it to bed over the winter, start it, starve(fuel) it, drain it(block/manifolds), use a bit of compressed air to blow all passages out, give the linkages a quick coat of WD40 and cover it with something that breathes.

Blow what passages out?

I have a 3.0, Alpha One with the blue drain hoses. All I've done so far is change the engine oil and drain these two hoses. I thought about using my shop vac to either suck or blow these hoses. Good thing, bad thing? Unnecessary?

I'm in northern Minnesota so it can still get -20 inside an unattached, unheated garage.

Oshkosh1

Ensign
I just blow out the manifold and block drain cocks. Not much comes out, and is probably unnecessary however since I have the hose there(I use compressed air to blow everything clean)it's not a big deal. So long as the lower WP hose, the PS hose and the 4 drain's are purged...you're good to go. That's according to the Mercruiser manual. Everything else is just what I do 'cause, well...it's what I do.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Also, it is 100% legal to dump it down the drain in most areas. It breaks down fairly easily.

Sure, it breaks down - but it's not legal to dump it into a storm drain, and most wastewater treatment plants don't want you dumping it into a sanitary sewer drain. That may be illegal too. It's never a good ides to discharge hazardous materials into the environment.

thumpar

Admiral
Even if it was legal, 1) Why would you use it? 2) Why not catch it?

Mule Laker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sure, it breaks down - but it's not legal to dump it into a storm drain, and most wastewater treatment plants don't want you dumping it into a sanitary sewer drain. That may be illegal too. It's never a good ides to discharge hazardous materials into the environment.

It's not a hazardous material in itself. Possibly it may be considered hazardous after being in an engine for a lengthy time and picking up metals and contaminants.

Status
Not open for further replies.